Hi Viz

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Where does all the reflected light from the streetlights go? Wouldn't some of it be reflected to the surrounding areas or does hi-viz not reflect at all?

I agree, the cyclist should watch out. A pedestrian looks across the road, does not see a cyclist and steps out in front of them. Cyclist, with the best will in the world can do nothing to avoid collision.
Under what circumstances at night in a street with street lighting would a cyclist be rendered invisible to a sighted pedestrian?

Leodis

Veteran
Under what circumstances at night in a street with street lighting would a cyclist be rendered invisible to a sighted pedestrian?

They are the living dead, they make moaning sounds, they cannot see.. They are...

ZOMBIE PEDS

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPN2e5f7ZE3QZrbfKRTlxyQnzA2L9Id6GGy5O86ufXzPq7uRXyVQ.jpg

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
They are the living dead, they make moaning sounds, they cannot see.. They are...

ZOMBIE PEDS

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPN2e5f7ZE3QZrbfKRTlxyQnzA2L9Id6GGy5O86ufXzPq7uRXyVQ.jpg
I know the sort. But come World War Z riding butt naked and sporting a 12" erection painted purple means they won't see you so hi-viz is a waste of effort no?

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
But you feel it makes you more safe?

What makes me "feel more safe" is riding my bike in a responsible manner, i.e looking behind before signaling, riding in the primary position, using segregated and off road sections where available, not jumping red lights, respecting the right of way for other road users, being as predictable as possible for the benefit of other road users. Wearing a hi-viz jacket with reflective patches when cycling in London in the winter helps me be more visible to other road users. I would also wear some kind of reflective material if I was cycling down a country lane at 1am in the middle of summer. What other people choose to wear is up to them and I have no opinion on whether they are right or wrong. I stated in my original post that I don't feel daft for wearing a hi viz jacket, but other posters would feel like part of the "clown brigade" it seems, that's their prerogative. What is daft is people arguing about whether wearing hi viz is right or wrong. Who cares (apart from the cycling fashion police, obviously)?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
What is daft is people arguing about whether wearing hi viz is right or wrong. Who cares (apart from the cycling fashion police, obviously)?
(As someone who sometimes wears hi vis, orange jacket with reflective bits and gloves with reflective bits), the problem has been shown clearly on many of the other threads today, when it is part of the reason that an advert is banned because the cyclist isn't wearing any "safety equipment". It has to be a choice, just the same as I can choose to wear a mini skirt if I wish, not what a cyclist has to wear to be considered safe.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
What makes me "feel more safe" is riding my bike in a responsible manner, i.e looking behind before signaling, riding in the primary position, using segregated and off road sections where available, not jumping red lights, respecting the right of way for other road users, being as predictable as possible for the benefit of other road users. Wearing a hi-viz jacket with reflective patches when cycling in London in the winter helps me be more visible to other road users. I would also wear some kind of reflective material if I was cycling down a country lane at 1am in the middle of summer. What other people choose to wear is up to them and I have no opinion on whether they are right or wrong. I stated in my original post that I don't feel daft for wearing a hi viz jacket, but other posters would feel like part of the "clown brigade" it seems, that's their prerogative. What is daft is people arguing about whether wearing hi viz is right or wrong. Who cares (apart from the cycling fashion police, obviously)?
I have never said Hi-viz is wrong.
I have often said

Hi-viz doth offend mine eye.

It is ugly. There is enough ugly in the world without the beautiful thing that is a person on a bike being voluntarily disfigured in a vain quest to improve their safety.

(And where is your data that it makes you more visible to others in London. Where every second chuffer wears it.)

theclaud

Openly Marxist
2900008 said:
Before I left work this evening I went down the end of the building to wash up. A colleague in a room I passed certainly didn't escape my notice, wearing a hi viz jacket and matching helmet.
OT, but is that "wash up" in the American sense or the British?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
2900061 said:
Right, for the clarification of any doubt, this was a small collection of mugs that I had used through the day.
I'm confused.

How could you see the mugs if they weren't hi-viz mugs?

Hi-viz mugs... geddit?

Top Bottom