Hi Viz

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Not from cars with lights, but what about other road users who don't have torches (pedestrains, other cyclists, horse riders, etc)?
Perhaps I misunderstand the question but how will said cyclist wearing hi-viz help those road users, with no light source to see by, other than the moon and stars. Flouro doesn't in the dark and even reflectives are useless unless lit by a light source.

And how do the listed road users see where they are going without constantly colliding with trees, signs, kerbs none of which use Hi-Viz, and, for that matter, each other?

Perhaps I misunderstand the question but how will said cyclist wearing hi-viz help those road users, with no light source to see by, other than the moon and stars. Flouro doesn't in the dark and even reflectives are useless unless lit by a light source.

And how do the listed road users see where they are going without constantly colliding with trees, signs, kerbs none of which use Hi-Viz, and, for that matter, each other?
Pedestrian crosses the road, street lights make cyclist with hi-viz easier to see. This is a good thing. Lights would be more important but hiviz will help the pedestrian

As for not colling with trees etc, they are static and certainly don't travel at 15+mph. If you don't see a tree until you are 10 feet away, you just walk aorud it. Don't see a cyclist trvelling at 15mph until 10 feet away, possible collision.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Pedestrian crosses the road, street lights make cyclist with hi-viz easier to see. This is a good thing. Lights would be more important but hiviz will help the pedestrian
It's that old intuition again. See @Adrian for details. This cyclist under streetlights without hi-viz, are they invisible to your pedestrian?

As for not colling with trees etc, they are static and certainly don't travel at 15+mph. If you don't see a tree until you are 10 feet away, you just walk aorud it. Don't see a cyclist trvelling at 15mph until 10 feet away, possible collision.
Is the cyclist blind? Isn't the onus on them to avoid the more vulnerable you?

It's that old intuition again. See @Adrian for details. This cyclist under streetlights without hi-viz, are they invisible to your pedestrian?

Is the cyclist blind? Isn't the onus on them to avoid the more vulnerable you?
Where does all the reflected light from the streetlights go? Wouldn't some of it be reflected to the surrounding areas or does hi-viz not reflect at all?

I agree, the cyclist should watch out. A pedestrian looks across the road, does not see a cyclist and steps out in front of them. Cyclist, with the best will in the world can do nothing to avoid collision.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Where does all the reflected light from the streetlights go? Wouldn't some of it be reflected to the surrounding areas or does hi-viz not reflect at all?

I agree, the cyclist should watch out. A pedestrian looks across the road, does not see a cyclist and steps out in front of them. Cyclist, with the best will in the world can do nothing to avoid collision.
The reflective strips on hi-viz reflect back to the source of the light with around a 20 degree spread (if my memory serves me right). People who are 90 degrees to the top of the lamp and the cyclist will not get any reflected light from the reflective material.

The reflective strips on hi-viz reflect back to the source of the light with around a 20 degree spread (if my memory serves me right). People who are 90 degrees to the top of the lamp and the cyclist will not get any reflected light from the reflective material.
But doesn't that assume it's hitting a perpendicular surface to the direction of light? Would it still be the same it the surface(jacket) is angled?

snorri

Legendary Member
Pedestrian crosses the road, street lights make cyclist with hi-viz easier to see. This is a good thing. Lights would be more important but hiviz will help the pedestrian.
... but as the drivers attention is focussed on the hi-viz wearing pedestrian he fails to observe the dark clothed mad axe man about to step off the pavement.

classic33

Leg End Member
Just as running a car with dipped headlights enhances its visibilty to other road users, the wearing of light coloured or 'hi vis' clothing by pedestrians and cyclists, as recommended by the highway code, helps make them visible earlier than they would otherwise be to other road users. It is not a question of 'not seeing'.
How does a light colour against a light background stand out?

tyred

Legendary Member
Hi Viz and lights are so 20th century. If you want to get noticed, try this:
2012 London Paralympics - Closing Ceremony-1315830.jpeg

Top Bottom