Hi Viz

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattDB

Über Member
Hi I'm looking for a high viz jacket at a reasonable price and just wondered if anyone has purchased one recently. I sound old and tight, but I can't believe they are so expensive for what they are!

classic33

Leg End Member
Fashion has caught up with function, possibly even overtaken it.
Result of this is the prices have risen more than they should have.

Have you a local market near you, or an outdoor weekly market?
Regulation changes 10 years ago led to a load of Hi-Vis clothing that no longer met the legal requirements for PPE at work being sold cheap.

Its still being sold now.

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Try Aldi my store still has stuff left .yellow high vis jacket might be 19.99 def less than £30 I bought one two weeks ago only worn once but seems OK for the money

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I'm surprised at how few cycling jackets are actually 100% waterproof. At least, that seems to be the case here in Australia. Most of them are water-resistant, but few are completely waterproof, and they're generally pretty expensive.

I was working at Bath Spa railway station recently and because I was wearing a hi Vis coat I kept being disrupted by confused Japanese tourists asking how to get to Oxford on the train...

So that explains the Japanese tourist in Penzance asking about the Morse tours and colleges

Tynan

Veteran
I have a night vision jacket from a long time ago but it barely gets taken out commuting let alone worn as it's too hot, maybe for a week a year when the weather is down near zero and crappy

I do have a gillet from the bargain bin that lives in my pannier, low bulk, very nice as a top layer for rain or a bit nippy or if i want a bit more visibility, a beautiful morning today and i was in summer kit, I was amazed at people in longs and waterproof tops, so many riders are terrified of getting wet, as said a million times, all that matters is keeping warm and on a commute especially that's almost always within your power, just crack on a bit until you are

If you're on an wet audax with 100 miles to go, perhaps not, that's a scenario where the nightvision is stuffed into the pannier

I have a night vision jacket from a long time ago but it barely gets taken out commuting let alone worn as it's too hot, maybe for a week a year when the weather is down near zero and crappy
As a rule of thumb my Altura Night Vision Evo only comes out when I can see my own breath, and usually I'll just wear a base layer under it and still get too warm!

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Got one of these for £35 last winter and on my 10-mile commute it is fine.

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/ru...adrenaline-hi-viz-jacket-p7003.aspx?cl=YELLOW

It is probably the most waterproof-est thing I have and I don't find it too much of a boil in the bag. I got stuck in a howling rainy-horizontal hailstorm hoolie last winter and it kept me dry and warm.

Reflective detail for night time, a decent sized rear pocket for sandwiches, and a chest pocket for the phone.

BRounsley

Über Member
Last week I bought a “proviz reflect360 gilet”.

It’s part of the growing trends of binding ground glass into the fabric for reflectiveness. The fabric is grey in normal light and reflective when it catches light.

The Good.

It’s crazily reflective. I’ve had car driver point it out too their passenger. And I was noticeability given more space. The whole thing is reflective, not just the odd strip. Seeing is believing.

The Bad

It’s made of thick (and heavy) material. I imagine the full jacket could be “boil in the bag”, but I am one of life’s sweaters (the gilet has a perforated back). I’m 1.84m and 75kg and small is still a bit flappy.

http://www.provizsports.com/en_gb/hi-visibility-cycling/proviz-reflect360

A similar product is the “Sugoi Zap Jacket”.

Top Bottom