High and low

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Icemanhgv

Road Warrior
Question, on my df, when I leave my house I ride out of a cul de sac onto a very busy main road, the traffic is usually stopped due to traffic lights but I can see over the top and ride out safety or, if really bad I can ride onto pavement, if your on a trike, how do I get out onto a main road, would you ride a trike on the pavement?

classic33

Leg End Member
I take a strong primary, watching the front wheels of vehicles on either side, rather than the indicators.

The type of cycle in use tends to slow down some of the drivers, not all. It's also a case of looking further in all directions before any move is made onto the main road.

Missed "the" before drivers. Edited to correct.

Last edited:
Are you doing a right or left turn out of the side road ??

As recumbent trikes are so different, I also find drivers are more willing to let you out.
So once the traffic comes almost to a stand sill, somebody will probably let you out ..... :biggrin:

OP
OP
Icemanhgv

Icemanhgv

Road Warrior
Are you doing a right or left turn out of the side road ??

As recumbent trikes are so different, I also find drivers are more willing to let you out.
So once the traffic comes almost to a stand sill, somebody will probably let you out ..... :biggrin:
The vehicles queue right to left, the lights are too my left, 10 houses away, I would prefer going left onto the pavement and around the corner to rejoin the road as turning right out of cul de sac is quite daunting in a car, if there's a truck there it can be almost impossible to pull out safely "(

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
If you feel it really is that bad, then use the pavement option. Do so carefully and it's most unlikely that you'll ever get any issues, but bear in mind it's not strictly legal.

My basic rule of thumb is if the pavement is over twice the width of the trike then it's reasonably safe/OK to use, just keep the speed down.

classic33

Leg End Member
Rejoining the road just before lights, do you know how far behind you(close up) you can actually see?

The height still comes into it, but you may find the traffic is less forgiving.

OP
OP
Icemanhgv

Icemanhgv

Road Warrior
Rejoining the road just before lights, do you know how far behind you(close up) you can actually see?

The height still comes into it, but you may find the traffic is less forgiving.
The idea is two ride up on to the pavement at the t junction, ride past eight houses, past the cycle shop, turn left and rejoin the main road after the lights so as to miss the bad junction and bypass the lights altogether")

Drago

Legendary Member
What are your views into any driveways or side entrances? Aside from being unlawful and setting a bad example, it can be risky. Having said that, how many road users (cyclists or motorised ones) take proper caution when side streets, entrances or driveways emerge onto the road? Precious few is my guess.

Any reason why you simply wouldn't dismount to walk the 50 metres or so on the path?

Top Bottom