High blood pressure concerns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi and hope your all doing well,
Firstly a must admit I'm abit of dinosaur when it comes to health matters.If I get up in the morning and everything works it's "happy days"
I haven't been to the doctor for years (I think the last time I went was to have a lump cut off my nose)
Anyway enough pointless ramblings,
Yesterday I had the great joy of visiting the works occupational nurse.
It was boiling hot and as it being Friday afternoon I was not feeling to great after working out in it all week in the searing heat.
That combined with a heavy summer cold I wasn't a happy Chappie this week gone.
Plastered in dust and grime I walked into the room for my MOT to be met by a very sturn faced nurse.
After a few questions she got that blood pressure monitor thing slapped on my arm and started squeezing that ball to pump it up.
A few moments later she stood back staring at me like I had some horrible disease.
Everything ok I asked? to which she said no.
Your blood pressure is through the roof at 183/103.
As I'm totally ignorant to these numbers I asked is that bad.
She said yes it's bordering dangerous and I should not use any works machinery and get to see my GP today.
She then refused to continue with the rest of my MOT check and abruptly told me to leave.
Once outside I must admit I felt quite panicky about the whole experience.
I was thinking "am I going to drop off my perch any moment? Is my job safe? and what the hell do these numbers mean and what's causing them to be so high.
I don't really live a bad life style, I enjoy plenty exercise in the form of cycling and I have a very active job.My diet could be better but it's not dreadful either.
After i calmed down I phoned my local GP and managed to get in to see them.
This GP was alot better and reassuring and helpful to be honest.After asking lots of questions he took my blood pressure and it was still around 180/103. He was concerned but not in a panicky state like the other nurse. He gave me a letter to say he thinks I'm ok and safe to operate work machinery and said I'm ok to still cycle (but take it easy)
I've also been given a months supply of tablets to lower my blood pressure (Amlodipine 5mg) and I'm going back on Tuesday for more blood pressure readings and to give some blood samples.
At the ripe old age of 53 ,this is the first time I've ever been scared for myself health wise.
Could it all be down to a combination of being cooked in the boiling hot weather and having a particularly bad cold to which I've been eating paracetamol tablets like Smarties over the week.
(Answers on a post card)
Anyway if you've managed to read all this without nodding off I applaud you.
All the very best,
Johnny.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Blood pressure is rarely measured correctly by medical professionals.

They shouldn't be medicating you on the basis of one off readings.

Get yourself a home monitor from Boots or somewhere and monitor it yourself at home when relaxed, according to the instructions.

I was at a&e last year and they took my BP, it was 180/102, they weren't bothered, they expect it to be high, the nurse said if you took any of their BPs they'd probably be up in the same ballpark.

I take mine at home, average is 115/75.

Having a bad cold and working in hot weather could certainly cause it to be high.

Joffey

Big Dosser
I used to take meds for my blood pressure. I lost a couple of stone and my blood pressure dropped and I'm off the pills now.

I had loads of tests on the road to getting my pills - saw the head guy at York hospital, had ultrasounds, the works! One thing I would have thought they would have done for you is given you a blood pressure machine and asked you to record your BP first thing in the morning and last thing at night before prescribing the pills.

I wouldn't worry too much either way in all fairness. It's better to be in the programme than not.

If you are really worried get yourself one of these:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pressure-Monitor-Machine-Accurate-Automatic/dp/B08BCMMG2X/ref=sr_1_9?crid=20D35FLFLI6TK&keywords=blood+pressure+monitors&qid=1660393594&sprefix=blood+%2Caps%2C142&sr=8-9

and monitor it yourself - first thing in a morning and just before bed. I'd imagine your doctor will be appreciative of your numbers.

My figures were similar to yours btw. Don't worry though mate :okay:

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Thank You @rualexander for replying.
I'm hoping it's just a blip as you say of a bad combination of suffering from the working outdoors in the heat and having a bad cold ,pumped up with to many paracetamols .

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Thanks for all the brilliant advice.
I think I will invest in a blood pressure monitor. It makes sense in the long term to keep an eye on it.
Funny enough I've dug my fitness watch out the draw last night just to monitor my heart rate (that's paranoia for you)
I understand heart rate and blood pressure are totally different but it's still a good idea to get a picture of what the old ticker is doing. It looks like my resting HR is around 60 beats per minute

vickster

Legendary Member
Thank You @rualexander for replying.
I'm hoping it's just a blip as you say of a bad combination of suffering from the working outdoors in the heat and having a bad cold ,pumped up with to many paracetamols .

Don’t ever exceed the stated dose of paracetamol, can be very dangerous for liver.
No more than 8 in 24 hours, no more than 2 at a time and no more often than every 4 hours. Don’t mix cold remedies and paracetamol tablets either.

If you’re actually sick, why were you at work (even if your employers are daffodils?)

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Thanks @vickster
To be honest I think I've probably done everything, you said I shouldn't do.
As said before I'm abit of a dinosaur when it comes to health issues. I think it's about time I grow up and start taking things like my Health more seriously though.
Many thanks Vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks @vickster
To be honest I think I've probably done everything, you said I shouldn't do.
As said before I'm abit of a dinosaur when it comes to health issues. I think it's about time I grow up and start taking things like my Health more seriously though.
Many thanks Vickster

The leaflets in the packs or instructions on the side are there to be read :smile:
It’s alarmingly easy to OD on paracetamol. If you need more pain relief, alternate with ibuprofen (taken with food) :okay:
That said, if you have high bp you should avoid ibuprofen. Check with pharmacist and read the pack insert with the amlodipine

Last edited:

presta

Guru
I think I will invest in a blood pressure monitor.
I bought an Omron M2 Basic HEM-7120 because Which rated it as one of the most accurate, and one of the cheapest. I can't find that one on sale now, but this Boots one looks suspiciously like an Omron, and it gets the same rating from Which:
"If you're looking for impeccable accuracy, this is a great option."

1660396130995.png

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I've been checking online and my local Boots just 5 minutes away has these in stock. I'll wait till it cools down outside and I'll pop down and get one

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The Boots monitor is almost certainly a rebadged Omron. This is mine and you will see the same model widely used across the NHS.

Your HR will be measured at the same time and you might want to wear your watch to check its accuracy. It could well be reading 10-15 beats to high, wrist worn devices are not very accurate. I've taken my HR using three devices at the same time, the Omron, a Wahoo chest strap and a Garmin vivoactive. The Garmin is always at least 10 beats higher while the Wahoo and Omron are usually identical.

To say blood pressure is rarely accurately measured by professionals is incorrect. What is true is your BP will probably be higher in the stressful situation of a surgery or hospital. Take your BP when your relaxed, early morning and yes monitor it over a month to get an accurate picture.

The Boots monitor is almost certainly a rebadged Omron. This is mine and you will see the same model widely used across the NHS.

Your HR will be measured at the same time and you might want to wear your watch to check its accuracy. It could well be reading 10-15 beats to high, wrist worn devices are not very accurate. I've taken my HR using three devices at the same time, the Omron, a Wahoo chest strap and a Garmin vivoactive. The Garmin is always at least 10 beats higher while the Wahoo and Omron are usually identical.

To say blood pressure is rarely accurately measured by professionals is incorrect. What is true is your BP will probably be higher in the stressful situation of a surgery or hospital. Take your BP when your relaxed, early morning and yes monitor it over a month to get an accurate picture.

I think Garmin watches have become more accurate in later generations. My Fenix 6X gives identical figures to my chest strap.

Top Bottom