High blood pressure concerns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@johnnyb47 sorry forgot the image

20220813_145922.jpg

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I've just got back from Boots. The Boots branded one definitely looks like the one above and on the packaging it's got Omron Heathcare printed on it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It’s alarmingly easy to OD on paracetamol. If you need more pain relief, alternate with ibuprofen (taken with food) :okay:
That said, if you have high bp you should avoid ibuprofen.
And is also alarmingly easy to over-use ibuprofen! :whistle:

A mate of mine was only minutes from death when he vomited out about 3 or 4 pints of blood from an Ibuprofen-related stomach ulcer which perforated. Fortunately for him, he managed to make a 999 call before he blacked out and an ambulance was only a couple of minutes away when he made the call.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Just been studying the instructions and thought I'd give it a try. 2 readings were done at 169/112 and 163/112 with a HR of 75.
I've wrote these down but from today onwards I'll do the testing first thing in the morning and when I go to bed.
For £20 these things are good value and seem to be very consistent.
Thank you all so much for taking the time to read my long convaluted post and for taking the time to explain everything and recommending a good value blood pressure monitor.
All the best,
Johnny

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Check it when you've been relaxing for a while.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I understand people saying not to worry, and think/hope they mean not to worry unduly.

Worry enough to make the lifestyle and diet changes which will reduce your BP and improve your prospects of a long and healthy life.

I understand that reducing BP fairly quickly increases healthy life expectancy. Reducing salt in your diet may be a good place to start, and your GP will be able to advise you.

I was diagnosed with HBP last year and have been on tablets since then. My usual BP is now down around the 130/80. I only measure it a couple of times a week as I don't want to get too obsessed by occasional variations.

I had to stop the first tablets, Amlodopine as they were making my ankles and lower legs swell, a quite common side effect, so keep an eye on that as sometimes it takes several tries to get the medication right.

I have never had any of the usual high risk factors for HBP and have heard that sometimes BP can fall back to almost normal rates, but am not sure how to find this out without coming off the tablets, which could be risky.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
This thread is right up my street! A friend had suggested during chat over breakfast that I should get my BP checked, I haven't been feeling great since having covid in february and had to stop cycling/gym as even on a really easy ride/session I just wasn't recovering, felt nauseous and dizzy etc. I did like you have and bought myself a home monitor, used it for a week -10days then got a triage callback with my doctor, read off a few averages and she referred me straight to the practice nurse to have a 24hr medical one fitted, the findings were downloaded yesterday and weren't too far off your own OP
I'm now on Ramipril and booked in for various samples inc bloods, thyroid function, kidney function tests etc for a complete MOT. I took a reading with my own machine this morning and it's already significantly lower + I feel sooo much better to the point where I hope (baby steps) to maybe venture out on a bike in the next few days :okay:

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Good on you @T.M.H.N.E.T.
Glad to see your health is slowly improving.

As a point of interest how long does it take for High blood pressure levels to fall back down to a more reasonable level after you start taking tablets and a diet change.
Is it a long process or do you start to see positive results fairly quickly

bruce1530

Guru
You start seeing change pretty much immediately.

I have high BP - was completely unaware until I ended up in A&E, then ortho ward, with suspected broken hip after coming off bike a few years ago. They put me on ramipril - which worked, but side effects didn't agree with me.

Changed meds, and things seemed OK for a while. Side effects disappeared.

Had a routine health MOT a year or so ago, nurse said BP was higher than expected, so they signed me up to "Florence". That's the NHS virtual nurse - they give you a BP machine home, and Flo send you a txt several times a week; you measure your BP and txt it back. She's quite needy - gets quite annoyed if you don't reply within 2 hours and sends you a condescending reminder.

After monitoring for 3 weeks, they changed my meds again. I was measuring BP twice a day, and graphing it, you could see a clear drop where meds changed.

That was the best part of a year ago. I now only measure BP very rarely - maybe once a month.

Top Bottom