High blood pressure concerns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Appropriate lifestyle (dietary, exercise, etc etc) changes, can result in a significant fall in BP over time, and may (only may!) be sufficient - under medical advice of course - to reduce dosage of BP medication. Each change - less Na, sufficient K, the right amount and type of exercise, stopping smoking etc etc - will only have a small effect, of a few mmHg, but together several small improvements can add up to a really significant drop in mmHg. Harder work than just taking meds - but worth it if side effects from the meds are a concern. Most side effects are predicated on dosage, so even if it seems unlikely that lifestyle changes will reduce your BP sufficiently to stop medication, they may well enable you to take a dosage low enough to not cause side effects. As well as improving your health overall!

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Appropriate lifestyle (dietary, exercise, etc etc) changes, can result in a significant fall in BP over time, and may (only may!) be sufficient - under medical advice of course - to reduce dosage of BP medication. Each change - less Na, sufficient K, the right amount and type of exercise, stopping smoking etc etc - will only have a small effect, of a few mmHg, but together several small improvements can add up to a really significant drop in mmHg. Harder work than just taking meds - but worth it if side effects from the meds are a concern. Most side effects are predicated on dosage, so even if it seems unlikely that lifestyle changes will reduce your BP sufficiently to stop medication, they may well enable you to take a dosage low enough to not cause side effects. As well as improving your health overall!

This matches up with my personal experience.

I had a heart attack (25 years ago now), no prior warning.

But, afterwards high BP was diagnosed, as well a being slightly overweight.

I have an aversion to taking medication, on the basis that all medication has the risk of side effects (or, contra-indications, as I believe the medics call them, just read the slip of paper enclosed with the medication). So, although I did (and still do) take prescribed BP medication, I also discussed with GP, and, embarked on:
- reducing my weight
- increasing my exercise (that its how I got back into cycling)
- improving diet

It appears to have worked for me, my BP is at acceptable levels, weight is stable, and, I am still here, 25 years later (now 75yo).

I did find that my GP was rather surprised, and, at first to go along with my "minimal pills" approach, clearly expecting that I would just take the medication and go away quietly. It did require more effort and determination, on my part (I did/do love chocolate and alcohol), but, I have managed.

Mine is so bad that I used to faint... It turns out that I used to get so stressed that I just stopped breathing! I was completely unaware of doing that until a nurse told me when I was hospitalised for 9 days back in 2012. It was messing up my BP and blood oxygen saturation readings every evening.

I make an effort now to talk endless crap while things are being done to me. I mean even more endless crap than usual! :laugh: It distracts me and forces me to breathe more. I tell the nurse why I am doing it. One with a good memory actually started to remember me talking about my plans for exciting bike rides and would ask how they had turned out next time she saw me!

I've never fainted or anything like that, I don't feel the least bit stressed about any of it, and I breathe normally throughout - I feel fine in myself! - but my readings, if not taken with 'due care and attention', are apt to scare students as they put me very firmly in hypertensive crisis territory. And so when I've been 'used' for teaching purposes, I deliberately do NOTHING, absolutely nothing, to bring it down nor do I mention it to the students ... (the tutor knows, of course).
There are always the students who ask appropriate questions while greeting me, and the ones who do the BP measurement 'by the latest book' but there are always a surprising number who consider it to be something to be just 'hammered out' in a routine sort of way. And they are the ones who deserve a fright ... :evil:

This matches up with my personal experience.

I had a heart attack (25 years ago now), no prior warning.

But, afterwards high BP was diagnosed, as well a being slightly overweight.

I have an aversion to taking medication, on the basis that all medication has the risk of side effects (or, contra-indications, as I believe the medics call them, just read the slip of paper enclosed with the medication). So, although I did (and still do) take prescribed BP medication, I also discussed with GP, and, embarked on:
- reducing my weight
- increasing my exercise (that its how I got back into cycling)
- improving diet

It appears to have worked for me, my BP is at acceptable levels, weight is stable, and, I am still here, 25 years later (now 75yo).

Actually, contra-indications and side effects are two very different things ... but neither are desired!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I did find that my GP was rather surprised, and, at first to go along with my "minimal pills" approach, clearly expecting that I would just take the medication and go away quietly.

I believe that many don’t want to make lifestyle changes, even though it is good for them. Plus many who do, don’t stick at it. I too am of the diet and exercise approach first to health, then if it’s not working what are the medication options? I’m only entering my late 50s and on no medications and have no issues. But I am but a youngster.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I am not a medical person, but, I was always told that it is the second number (107 in you last reading) which is more important. This may be old and discredited information now.

They each mean different things, and depending on the circumstances one may be more significant than the other. For older people the first (systolic) is more likely to be important but it's not necessarily guaranteed to be.

OK, every day is a school day. I did say, elsewhere, I am not a Medic ;)

People often get them mixed up. It is totally understandable.

As a general rule, a contra-indication is a concrete reason why you should not take said medication (although, sometimes, contra-indications must, of necessity, be risked); a side effect is something (from inconsequential to serious) that might - only might - happen to you when you take a particular medication.

The great majority of side effects of the great majority of commonly-prescribed drugs are inconsequential to minor and not considered to be contra-indications in any way - especially compared to the benefits recouped.

However, even an otherwise-minor side effect might, in some instances, act as an absolute contra-indication - for instance, a common side effect of many drugs is a degree of drowsiness/lack of alertness; this side effect acts as an absolute contraindication for some activities. There are also some drug/food interactions - not just the commonly-recognised alcohol one - which need a pharmacist's advice.

However, as a general principle the illness or disease for which you are treated with drugs will have more severe 'side-effects' (if left to progress untreated) than will the drugs used to treat the illness or disease. The more serious the illness, the more delicate that balance may/will be, for obvious reasons. There is constant 'tweaking' of drugs happening in research so as to minimise side-effects and increase pharmacological action.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I believe that many don’t want to make lifestyle changes, even though it is good for them. Plus many who do, don’t stick at it. I too am of the diet and exercise approach first to health, then if it’s not working what are the medication options? I’m only entering my late 50s and on no medications and have no issues. But I am but a youngster.

Here's the problem with high blood pressure. It's mainly invisible so tends not to add to the urgency to make needed lifestyle changes. Unless you measure it regularly, it's easy to put it to one side, and maybe dismiss a high reading as a one-off, or decide that a quaified health care professional didn't know what they were doing, and comfort yourself that it's fine to carry on just as before. That's why it's a good idea to measure it regularly even if you are feeling OK. It is, after all, known as the "silent killer"

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Here's the problem with high blood pressure. It's mainly invisible so tends not to add to the urgency to make needed lifestyle changes.

Perhaps I should have qualified my statement. I meant once they are diagnosed at GP as having high blood pressure. The first option isn’t try lifestyle changes then let’s re assess in so many weeks etc. It is what pill can I take to control it, whilst carrying on with the lifestyle choices that lead to HBP.

november4

Adding chia seeds to your porridge.... supposed to help naturally, but they taste good too anyway

I'm not a GP but don't think you get many skinny people with high blood pressure. I'm not skinny either though 😂

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Adding chia seeds to your porridge.... supposed to help naturally, but they taste good too anyway

I'm not a GP but don't think you get many skinny people with high blood pressure. I'm not skinny either though 😂

Well, you may not be too wide of the mark. The NHS website specifically identifies being overweight as a risk factor, and losing weight as a lifestyle change you can make to reduce high blood pressure. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/high-blood-pressure-hypertension/

(Pats belly and frowns)

figbat

Slippery scientist
I lost a lot of weight a while back - put me in the middle of the ideal BMI range (just to offer a reference point) and I am as fit now as I have ever been. I don’t drink a lot, have never smoked and my diet is not too bad. Still high BP. I think I am playing with a bad deck in terms of genetic factors. 🙁

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions

My mother is soo lean she has visible abs, has never exercised or visited a gym. Has high BP, in fact we're on the same drugs

Top Bottom