High blood pressure - I guess it's time to medicate ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My lowest reading in the past week has been 143/85 ......highest 164/87.

Can understand why it's suddenly gone up. I'm cycling around 70 miles a week - go to the gym with weights 3 times a week.

My diet is probably better than it's ever been due to slimming world - I've even cut out cereal !!! And have lost around 7lb in weight
(Now 11.11 for a 5ft 7 guy)

Done tests first thing in morning & last at night.

I really don't want to medicate - but have a feeling I'm running the stroke gauntlet with those figures .

Will of course chat to GP asap - but any experience advice on here welcome.

I am 59.

Sharky

Guru
My understanding is that blood pressure will vary through the day, so best to take a reading at the same time each day. Also exercise is meant to reduce blood pressure by strengthening the heart but during and immediately afterwards can be raised.

Over the last few years, I've had to have various checkups at our local hospital. The readings I see on their machines are often much higher than the ones I take myself at home. The nurses have never commented on the readings.

You must be at or close to the age when you start getting invited for loads of tests and checks. Make sure you take them up and/or see your GP.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
My understanding is that blood pressure will vary through the day, so best to take a reading at the same time each day. Also exercise is meant to reduce blood pressure by strengthening the heart but during and immediately afterwards can be raised.

Over the last few years, I've had to have various checkups at our local hospital. The readings I see on their machines are often much higher than the ones I take myself at home. The nurses have never commented on the readings.

You must be at or close to the age when you start getting invited for loads of tests and checks. Make sure you take them up and/or see your GP.

As per my posts the blood pressure readings are done at home at approx the same time each day.

a.twiddler

Veteran
What are you testing with? It would be a good start to be doing testing with a GP approved BP machine with an upper arm cuff rather than a wrist monitor, for example. Were you testing BP from time to time before you started having concerns about your BP? Are you sure that your BP monitor is OK? Has anything in your life or environment changed recently? Stress? I expect the GP would ask these and other questions about your lifestyle. Usually the first thing is to suggest lifestyle changes but it looks like you are aware of that and probably doing it already.

BP is very variable, might be raised for no apparent reason and settle down again but if it persists, obviously you need to do something about it. It would do no harm to talk to your GP in the meantime. Quite often, if you have a BP done at the surgery, it will be higher than if you were relaxed at home. This is well known and the GP would take that into account. It's known as "white coat syndrome". If they were concerned, they would get you to test your BP regularly for at least a week or more, maybe fit you up with a 24 hour monitor to get an average, before even thinking about medication.

Most people discover that they have high BP by accident, eg if they go to their GP for something else, or have a hospital appointment. At least you are ahead there.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I discovered I had high blood pressure in 2012 and have been on statins ever since without any adverse side effects. My BP dropped quite quickly and has been at a normal level for several years. Go and see your GP. If you get side effects, the doctors will just change your meds to something that suits you better. It's really very simple.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
What are you testing with? It would be a good start to be doing testing with a GP approved BP machine with an upper arm cuff rather than a wrist monitor, for example. Were you testing BP from time to time before you started having concerns about your BP? Are you sure that your BP monitor is OK? Has anything in your life or environment changed recently? Stress? I expect the GP would ask these and other questions about your lifestyle. Usually the first thing is to suggest lifestyle changes but it looks like you are aware of that and probably doing it already.

BP is very variable, might be raised for no apparent reason and settle down again but if it persists, obviously you need to do something about it. It would do no harm to talk to your GP in the meantime. Quite often, if you have a BP done at the surgery, it will be higher than if you were relaxed at home. This is well known and the GP would take that into account. It's known as "white coat syndrome". If they were concerned, they would get you to test your BP regularly for at least a week or more, maybe fit you up with a 24 hour monitor to get an average, before even thinking about medication.

Most people discover that they have high BP by accident, eg if they go to their GP for something else, or have a hospital appointment. At least you are ahead there.

It's a proper omron blood pressure monitor. I usually test for a week twice year - it's not been this high before. (It's all logged on an app !!!)

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I discovered I had high blood pressure in 2012 and have been on statins ever since without any adverse side effects. My BP dropped quite quickly and has been at a normal level for several years. Go and see your GP. If you get side effects, the doctors will just change your meds to something that suits you better. It's really very simple.

That's not my concern - I know If won't take bp tablets for a week I won't get side effects - but over time you get the effects - and need more meds to counter the side effects.

It's a train In really don t want to get on.

vickster

Legendary Member

Why are you taking statins for high blood pressure?
Cholesterol high too?
Different medication for BP?

vickster

Legendary Member
That's not my concern - I know If won't take bp tablets for a week I won't get side effects - but over time you get the effects - and need more meds to counter the side effects.

It's a train In really don t want to get on.

What side effects do you anticipate developing over time? There are different types of medication for high BP which may or may not cause you side effects.
Best discuss with your GP, get a 24 hour monitoring done?

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
What side effects do you anticipate developing over time? There are different types of medication for high BP which may or may not cause you side effects.
Best discuss with your GP, get a 24 hour monitoring done?

The most common side effect I hear is an inability to get your HR up when exercising.

Another one (guy at our club) suffered with extreme fatigue - he quit cycling in the end.

D

Deleted member 1258

My lowest reading in the past week has been 143/85 ......highest 164/87.

Can understand why it's suddenly gone up. I'm cycling around 70 miles a week - go to the gym with weights 3 times a week.

My diet is probably better than it's ever been due to slimming world - I've even cut out cereal !!! And have lost around 7lb in weight
(Now 11.11 for a 5ft 7 guy)

Done tests first thing in morning & last at night.

I really don't want to medicate - but have a feeling I'm running the stroke gauntlet with those figures .

Will of course chat to GP asap - but any experience advice on here welcome.

I am 59.

Talk to your GP.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I AM Going to GP. Please stop posting this.

Just wondered what drugs anyone uses to control BP - and any effects on cycling.

SuffolkBlue

I AM Going to GP. Please stop posting this.

Just wondered what drugs anyone uses to control BP - and any effects on cycling.

I take Lisinopril 20mg (ACE inhibitor) once a day. I have done since around 2005 (family BP issues - I'm told we have a genetic predisposition). It has absolutely no effect on my cycling or any exercise whatsoever. In fact exercise is encouraged (as well as a "healthy lifestyle" of course). I have an annual review with a single blood test to check kidney function plus a BP diary to submit to GP.
No statins or similar have ever been required and I have never had to take anything else.
Beta blockers such as atenolol slow the heart rate and will affect ability to raise heart rate during exercise but they are only used when other BP medications haven't worked.
All the best and hope this helps.
Bill

Top Bottom