High blood pressure - I guess it's time to medicate ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I didn't expect The Spanish Inquisition.

No one ever does ;)
Just puzzled as to why you’re taking a statin for high BP (it was the middle of the night!)

Jameshow

Veteran
What are you doing preceding your blood pressure check.
.coffee and tea are known to raise it.

Which way is your weight going? if it's falling keep at it and hold off the meds to see if further loss of weight helps.

Any stresses? Might be worth chatting to someone about it. I know we're not very good at it!

Most of all keep riding!

presta

Guru
I've just been to the surgery with the week's worth of BP measurements they requested, and it's closed all day for 'training'.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I've just been to the surgery with the week's worth of BP measurements they requested, and it's closed all day for 'training'.

Did that raise your BP?

Sorry, couldn't resist ;)

tom73

Guru
GP didn't offer medication - 24 hour monitoring to be arranged in due course.

Very sensible starting point as pre treatment pathway they will be wanting to assess a much wider range of readings.
A much clearer picture will help work out if interventions are required. Also helps spot rouge elevated reading taken at time of consultation.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@kingrollo - I hope it gets resolved.

My BP also seems to be high - along with a higher resting heart rate - as a result of a nasty Covid bout in July. The doctor called me in for a BP test this morning, resulting in 132 / 86. As I'm 52, and have had it much higher previously when I was over-weight, my guess is they'll be monitoring me just in case as well but it's not as high as yours.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My understanding is that blood pressure will vary through the day, so best to take a reading at the same time each day. Also exercise is meant to reduce blood pressure by strengthening the heart but during and immediately afterwards can be raised.

Over the last few years, I've had to have various checkups at our local hospital. The readings I see on their machines are often much higher than the ones I take myself at home. The nurses have never commented on the readings.

You must be at or close to the age when you start getting invited for loads of tests and checks. Make sure you take them up and/or see your GP.

There is a well known thing called “ White coat syndrome”. Nurses doing your blood pressure are probably aware of this and make a mental deduction but write down the actual reading.

Top Bottom