High blood pressure - I guess it's time to medicate ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
ACE inhibitors (the ones ending in pril) can cause a cough but there’s another class that acts in the same way that is less likely to if experienced

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I take Lisinopril 20mg (ACE inhibitor) once a day. I have done since around 2005 (family BP issues - I'm told we have a genetic predisposition). It has absolutely no effect on my cycling or any exercise whatsoever. In fact exercise is encouraged (as well as a "healthy lifestyle" of course). I have an annual review with a single blood test to check kidney function plus a BP diary to submit to GP.
No statins or similar have ever been required and I have never had to take anything else.
Beta blockers such as atenolol slow the heart rate and will affect ability to raise heart rate during exercise but they are only used when other BP medications haven't worked.
All the best and hope this helps.
Bill

Thanks. That's great.

I think it's genetic in my family. I suffer mildly from depression and I am never great this time of year - this is a right kick in the nuts as it is something I've strived so hard to avoid.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I have been on Ramapril 2.5mg for 5 years, does not effect me in any way . When I started on it I remember a performance improvement.

Interesting - my performance has dropped off - even before I checked my BP - I put it down too winter/kit/bike ......but maybe it's the high BP.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I've been on 5mg Amlodipine for about 4 years.
BP was elevated but not high. Thought to be age related, but I am conscious of genetics. The doctor acknowledged there were no changes which could be made to weight, diet or exercise, which could improve matters, so gave me a choice as to whether or not to take tablets. But having seen stroke victims first hand, it was to me, a no brainer.
No effects noticed with exercise.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I have been on BP meds for 20 years now. My experience has been that any side effects would be more prevalent when you first start medication but become unnoticeable once you have been taking them for a while. There is a choice of medication out there, and if something causes you problems, the GP can offer alternatives. As for effects on cycling, I've always been more of a leisure cyclist, ie slow, but I can still do the same sort of distances that I used to do despite being older.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I've been on 5mg Amlodipine for about 4 years.
BP was elevated but not high. Thought to be age related, but I am conscious of genetics. The doctor acknowledged there were no changes which could be made to weight, diet or exercise, which could improve matters, so gave me a choice as to whether or not to take tablets. But having seen stroke victims first hand, it was to me, a no brainer.
No effects noticed with exercise.

Yep - that's exactly the position/ thought mode .

I've been pretty down the last few weeks and really fed up / irritable - cause and effect ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah I get the cough 😥

Tell your Dr you want to try an ARB (aka A2A)

Joffey

Big Dosser
I AM Going to GP. Please stop posting this.

Just wondered what drugs anyone uses to control BP - and any effects on cycling.

I used to take Ramipril - no effects on me other than lowering my blood pressure for a bit. I lost a couple of stone and they took me off it.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Ramipril also made my Vibration White Finger/HAVS considerably worse with serious blanching of my fingers at slight changes in temperature. The cough I was prepared to put up with (All this was pre-Covid). Now on Losartan

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I AM Going to GP. Please stop posting this.

Just wondered what drugs anyone uses to control BP - and any effects on cycling.

Atenolol 50mg and Candesartan 8mg, daily. Been on BP medication since age 49, after a heart attack (now 75). The medication has been varied by GP, over the years. I have not experienced any side effects that I have noticed.

I too am reluctant to take medication because of possible side effects. My advice is, discuss this with your GP, in my case, attention to diet, and, exercise has minimised dosage, if not completely eliminated need for medication.

I still cycle, approximately 150 miles per month, although, I have acquired an e-bike this year.

Good luck, hope it all goes well for you.

Milzy

Guru
Please don’t drink and eat before your test. Caffeine is bad. We have occupational health test ultra runners after dinner and they’re buzzing on hours of coffee then told they need intervention. They get home test and it’s perfect.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Yep - that's exactly the position/ thought mode .

I've been pretty down the last few weeks and really fed up / irritable - cause and effect ?
Yes, chat it through with your GP. There are options.
If you don't have one already, I'd suggest taking a spreadsheet of your readings. I took a week's worth of readings, twice a day, at different times of the day, with 5 minute intervals between each reading and averaged out. That way the daily fluctuations get ironed out.
I then did the same for a month after being prescribed and took all the readings to the follow up appointment, for the GP to check if he had got the dose correct. As it happens he nailed it first time.
I use the same spreadsheet to do random weekly checks, so that I can keep an eye on things. Which is also handy for when a med review is called, or my BP is checked for other reasons.
You GP will also probably warn you that unless it's your lifestyle, which from your post it would seem not, once you are on meds, you are on them for life.

Top Bottom