High blood pressure - I guess it's time to medicate ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I am not qualified to advise you, but I'm happy to share my experience.

In 2007 (age 52) I was overweight and in a job I found very stressful; a routine healthcheck at work picked up that I had high BP and frequent tachycardia.

I elected to make lifestyle changes before medicating. Changing job very quickly got me back into the borderline high BP region. Years later I decided to gradually make more changes, mainly to improve my quality of life; giving up alcohol, coffee helped as did reducing my weight (10kg lost). Reducing my salt intake made a big difference.

If I eat a takeaway meal now, or drink one coffee I experience the old familiar symptoms of high BP.

For me this works, and is easy, but I'm aware that giving stuff up can be difficult for many people.

I'm now 67 and use no medicines.

D

Deleted member 1258

There is a well known thing called “ White coat syndrome”. Nurses doing your blood pressure are probably aware of this and make a mental deduction but write down the actual reading.

Time before last when I was having my annual check up the nurse gave up in the end and asked me to do some readings at home and send them in.

tom73

Guru
Time before last when I was having my annual check up the nurse gave up in the end and asked me to do some readings at home and send them in.

That's one way , waiting a few minutes waiting for people to relax before trying is common approach and trends to work.
Really bad suffers of white coat syndrome like my mate will often have it added to medical notes. So any HCP is aware it's an issue from the start.

There is a well known thing called “ White coat syndrome”. Nurses doing your blood pressure are probably aware of this and make a mental deduction but write down the actual reading.

Standard practice is more a let's try later approach. It's clinical impossible to second guess a true figure.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
That's one way , waiting a few minutes waiting for people to relax before trying is common approach and trends to work.
Really bad suffers of white coat syndrome like my mate will often have it added to medical notes. So any HCP is aware it's an issue from the start.

Standard practice is more a let's try later approach. It's clinical impossible to second guess a true figure.

Our practice nurse told me she made people wait for about half an hour before taking them in for a BP test to allow them to relax. My reply was that in my case it put my BP up having to wait as I had lots of other urgent things to do,:angry:

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Good news - I haven't had a stroke yet. !!!

Bad news 24 hr BP monitor came back daytime average of 141/82 - and they are recommending Ramipril 2.5MG x1 - Totally gutted !!!

My only concern was the BP monitor thing was crap - it was warm on my body - and the the cable looped around my neck was very irritating - I have a feeling this may have pumped up my BP by a couple of points !

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member

Bad news 24 hr BP monitor came back daytime average of 141/82 - and they are recommending Ramipril 2.5MG x1 - Totally gutted !!!

My only concern was the BP monitor thing was crap - it was warm on my body - and the the cable looped around my neck was very irritating - I have a feeling this may have pumped up my BP by a couple of points !

I was on Ramipri, my Reynauds/VWF symptoms became much worse, even in reasonable temperatures, so I was changed onto Losartan.

PaulSB

Legendary Member

If you develop a dry, persistent cough it's a side effect about 1 in 100 people get, the Ramipril cough.

See your GP and you'll probably get switched to Losartan. I was.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Since the pandemic; my surgery just asks me to occasionally submit my own readings via a link they provide. I guess if there was concern I’d be invited in, for the proper healthy over 40s check as per guidelines

I have always had Higher blood pressure than the recommended levels, When this was brought up I was cycling to work ( 5 miles each way) Then doing 15 miles on my feet walking and jogging and lifting approximately 3 tons a day in about 1000 lifts ( I worked for a Council on the recycling) I could easily do 60/70 miles in one ride on the bike and then did regular longish walks with my dogs. As I've got older my blood pressure has gone up and my fitness down due to a change of jobs an age, The two things that I find have a dramatic effect ( elevating my blood pressure) Are Alcohol even in small amounts and salt, At one point I cut the salt down massively mainly by not having junk food , I even made my own Bread without Salt and made a point of eating lots of Potassium rich foods This dropped my blood pressure to lower than it had ever been. Unfortunately for me at least I just could not keep this up being extremely time constricted and enjoying Real Ale far too much. I now take meds which I totally hate doing. I went through loads of them with most having no affect at all and others Ramipril being the main one making me quite ill and unable to do my job whilst having no affect on my blood pressure.

Probably not much help but that my Story !

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I have always had Higher blood pressure than the recommended levels, When this was brought up I was cycling to work ( 5 miles each way) Then doing 15 miles on my feet walking and jogging and lifting approximately 3 tons a day in about 1000 lifts ( I worked for a Council on the recycling) I could easily do 60/70 miles in one ride on the bike and then did regular longish walks with my dogs. As I've got older my blood pressure has gone up and my fitness down due to a change of jobs an age, The two things that I find have a dramatic effect ( elevating my blood pressure) Are Alcohol even in small amounts and salt, At one point I cut the salt down massively mainly by not having junk food , I even made my own Bread without Salt and made a point of eating lots of Potassium rich foods This dropped my blood pressure to lower than it had ever been. Unfortunately for me at least I just could not keep this up being extremely time constricted and enjoying Real Ale far too much. I now take meds which I totally hate doing. I went through loads of them with most having no affect at all and others Ramipril being the main one making me quite ill and unable to do my job whilst having no affect on my blood pressure.

Probably not much help but that my Story !

How do I make bread without salt ?

In fact how do I make bread !!! ?

Side effects are less likely on low doses and even if they do occur, it's possible that they will diminish after the initial period
I went and saw my GP about something else and he said while you are here i'll take your BP.Took two readings and both were high so he put me on Amlodipine 5mg which is the lowest dose and that was seventeen years ago.
I.ve never had any side effects.

Top Bottom