High blood pressure - I guess it's time to medicate ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Good news - I haven't had a stroke yet. !!!

Bad news 24 hr BP monitor came back daytime average of 141/82 - and they are recommending Ramipril 2.5MG x1 - Totally gutted !!!

My only concern was the BP monitor thing was crap - it was warm on my body - and the the cable looped around my neck was very irritating - I have a feeling this may have pumped up my BP by a couple of points !

In general terms the decision to take medication should be a shared one between you and your doctor. If you are good with numbers it maybe worth using the Qrisk website to calculate your personal risk and likely benefit from treatment.

It can model how much your risk changes if your BP is modified. Otherwise it is down to your perception of risk.

I must say that one thing I do find myself reminding my patients of is that having high blood pressure is not necessarily your fault. Though it can obviously be influenced by lifestyle factors there are just some people that have hypertension no matter what they do.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
In general terms the decision to take medication should be a shared one between you and your doctor. If you are good with numbers it maybe worth using the Qrisk website to calculate your personal risk and likely benefit from treatment.

It can model how much your risk changes if your BP is modified. Otherwise it is down to your perception of risk.

I must say that one thing I do find myself reminding my patients of is that having high blood pressure is not necessarily your fault. Though it can obviously be influenced by lifestyle factors there are just some people that have hypertension no matter what they do.

Hmmm - I often find in these shared decision scenarios that the GP just puts the ball in your court.

vickster

Legendary Member
I went and saw my GP about something else and he said while you are here i'll take your BP.Took two readings and both were high so he put me on Amlodipine 5mg which is the lowest dose and that was seventeen years ago.
I.ve never had any side effects.

Different class of anti hypertensive to ramipril (ACEi, all can have the cough)

UphillSlowly

Hmmm - I often find in these shared decision scenarios that the GP just puts the ball in your court.
That is how come patients feel. Everyone is so different which is what makes preventative medicine such a fascinating area, tbh. Happy to expand further
Is that not how it should be though? The healthcare professional gives you the facts and options, plus their medical opinion and you decide?
There is definitely a move towards a less paternalistic approach to medicine these days. At least that is how I was taught. But Not all patients are happy with that.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Is that not how it should be though? The healthcare professional gives you the facts and options, plus their medical opinion and you decide?

Yes - but they say things 'listen to your body' - mine doesn't actually say anything.

My readings are lower than the 24 HR test - (done am/pm with quality device) ideally I would be looking for advice on whether medication would be in my best interests...

Apt in a couple weeks....will keep you posted.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes - but they say things 'listen to your body' - mine doesn't actually say anything.

My readings are lower than the 24 HR test - (done am/pm with quality device) ideally I would be looking for advice on whether medication would be in my best interests...

Often it won’t with high blood pressure, asymptomatic condition…until it isn’t!

a.twiddler

Veteran
At one time high blood pressure was known as the "silent killer". You could have it for years without symptoms while it gradually affected your arteries, kidneys and other vital organs. So, inconvenient as it is, early detection and treatment with firstly lifestyle changes then moving on to medication if necessary, is the least worst scenario. Most people with hypertension have no known cause -it's known as "essential hypertension".

UphillSlowly

This is a little apocryphal (in that most docs and guidelines are unaware of this) but may help with your discussions with your GP:
https://thennt.com/nnt/anti-hypertensives-for-cardiovascular-prevention-in-mild-hypertension/

UphillSlowly

Dated 2013, US sourced. Read the paragraph under "Caveats". Probably not applicable to current NHS practice.

A Cochrane Database Systematic Review (which is what the article is a summary of) is about as well respected as you can get within the world of medicine. Don't think there are have been any subsequent analyses to show treatment of *mild* hypertension has a statistically significant effect on outcomes. Though happy to be proven otherwise.

Ironically, I would tend to recommend pretty much all patients, including those with mild hypertension, have treatments to get their BP below 140 mmHg systolic.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
OK - OP Here.

Went to see GP as the cardiology dept had recommended starting me is rampsril 2.5MG. My blood press is on average 133/83 - However the reason they want me to medicate is that this slightly elevated blood pressure is in addition to a heart murmur. GP said the meds will protect my heart ....

anyway 1 month shy of the big 60 - I am now officially old ! - First tablet tonight !

D

Deleted member 1258

OK - OP Here.

Went to see GP as the cardiology dept had recommended starting me is rampsril 2.5MG. My blood press is on average 133/83 - However the reason they want me to medicate is that this slightly elevated blood pressure is in addition to a heart murmur. GP said the meds will protect my heart ....

anyway 1 month shy of the big 60 - I am now officially old ! - First tablet tonight !

Your not old, your only a youngster yet. ^_^

Top Bottom