High blood pressure concerns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I was told by the nurse to leave checking it for two weeks and was given a form to then record it for a week. Take 3 recordings morning and 3 evening and record the best one of the three.

I started a spreadsheet and have been taking readings morning and evening every day.
Yes, that's identical to the advice I was given.

Having captured your 14 readings, it's easy enough to get your spreadsheet program to calculate an overall average. Repeat the process every couple of months.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi and another update if you're interested in this thread.
Sadly my Blood Pressure had started to climb again.
The last few weeks it's been slowly but surely raising on daily averages to a point I was seeing 140/95.
Last Monday I thought it best to book an appointment with the doctor again expecting to get seen some time in January.To my surprise I got to see him on the same day. I've kept my diet strict and healthy since first diagnosed and take my tablet daily without fail, but for some reason it's started to go up again.
The only thing I can put it down to is the fact it's alot colder now outside (I spend 9/10 hours working outdoors) and that I'm having a few stressful problems going on.
The doctor agreed these factors could have an affect ,but he also commented he was surprised that how just a 5mg Amlodipine tablet worked for me in the short term. My bloods have been tested and my Cholesterol level are perfect and have now been put on 10mg Amlodipine tablets. The BP levels have now dropped to around 115/75 and hope they will now continue to stay there.
As said before I can't stress enough to the benefits of buying a BP monitor for home use. I could of gone for another year thinking everything was all well and dandy thinking my dosage was doing its job but having a BP monitor has hopefully nipped a potential problem in the bud. (Go on it's Christmas treat yourself to one)
All the very best
Johnny.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Hi and another update if you're interested in this thread.
Sadly my Blood Pressure had started to climb again.
The last few weeks it's been slowly but surely raising on daily averages to a point I was seeing 140/95.
Last Monday I thought it best to book an appointment with the doctor again expecting to get seen some time in January.To my surprise I got to see him on the same day. I've kept my diet strict and healthy since first diagnosed and take my tablet daily without fail, but for some reason it's started to go up again.
The only thing I can put it down to is the fact it's alot colder now outside (I spend 9/10 hours working outdoors) and that I'm having a few stressful problems going on.
The doctor agreed these factors could have an affect ,but he also commented he was surprised that how just a 5mg Amlodipine tablet worked for me in the short term. My bloods have been tested and my Cholesterol level are perfect and have now been put on 10mg Amlodipine tablets. The BP levels have now dropped to around 115/75 and hope they will now continue to stay there.
As said before I can't stress enough to the benefits of buying a BP monitor for home use. I could of gone for another year thinking everything was all well and dandy thinking my dosage was doing its job but having a BP monitor has hopefully nipped a potential problem in the bud. (Go on it's Christmas treat yourself to one)
All the very best
Johnny.

I am on Amlopidine 10mg. Unfortunately my mother had and and my sister has high blood pressure. Mine was very high and I started with the medication about 6 weeks ago, the GP having said there wasn't much I could do re lifestyle to impact it. I was about 185/110, it is now around 140/80. However it varies a lot. Hard exercise reduces it (this is another medical condition) so it can fall to 105/65. I did get a bit of fluid retention in my feet but that seems to have passed. What I have noticed is my lactate threshold has worsened so I'm a bit slower cycling, particularly up hills

I've lost a couple of kg since going on the medication and will probably lose a few more. Not so much to help with the BP (the GP said it wouldn't impact it much), more to compensate for my worsening lactate threshold hill climbing

yello

I've been on BP meds for years yet my BP will still read more than 140/80 at my GP's. I suspect they make allowances for white coat syndrome. That said, I can get similar readings at home - and worse. And I can get silly numbers.... 190/110 and the like. Monitor malfunction? Or simple variation?

I read recently that BP can vary enormously during the day and under different circumstances. So I guess that knowing what a stable, base-line figure is is difficult. Maybe the none-to-reassuring method is to aim for 'there or there arounds'... so the 'best of three over a period of time' approach perhaps makes some sense?

Top Bottom