High blood pressure - I guess it's time to medicate ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SuffolkBlue

My BP is good on average, but it fluctuates wildly over quite short periods of time if I take multiple readings:

View attachment 700564
I was told that BP follows a circadian rhythm and will be higher at certain points of the day (lowest at night). If you are taking multiple readings a day then they will vary greatly. At the risk of being horribly patronising - the more readings you take then the more likely you are to be worried by it and then your BP goes up so it's a vicious circle.

My BP can be greatly impacted by stress/worry so usual advice is to sit down, do some relaxation exercises (if they work for you), wait until you're relaxed and take 3 readings, record the lowest of the 3.

I've been medicated for best part of 15 years with no side effects. I check mine once a month (usually) and then a week's worth of daily readings (as requested) once a year when the GP recalls me for annual BP medication review and bloods.

I was diagnosed with high BP a couple of years ago and the medication has brought it down, but on reflection I have seen a growth in my overall levels of muscle pain and tiredness during and after exercise, plus background discomfort at other times, over the same period.

Is this something that others have experienced, or is it just coincidence?
I haven't associated this with my medication - just getting older ^_^. I'm probably fitter now at 58 than I've been for years !

I was told that BP follows a circadian rhythm and will be higher at certain points of the day (lowest at night). If you are taking multiple readings a day then they will vary greatly. At the risk of being horribly patronising - the more readings you take then the more likely you are to be worried by it and then your BP goes up so it's a vicious circle.

My BP can be greatly impacted by stress/worry so usual advice is to sit down, do some relaxation exercises (if they work for you), wait until you're relaxed and take 3 readings, record the lowest of the 3.

I've been medicated for best part of 15 years with no side effects. I check mine once a month (usually) and then a week's worth of daily readings (as requested) once a year when the GP recalls me for annual BP medication review and bloods.

I haven't associated this with my medication - just getting older ^_^. I'm probably fitter now at 58 than I've been for years !

I took my BP quite regularly following starting the medication, but these days I rarely bother. Probably just once every few weeks if my wife reminds me.

It may well be my age but it has definitely started since being on the meds. I have been thinking of coming off them for a month or two to see if things change, but probably should check with GP first. I had my best period of cycling for years in the six months prior to starting on the meds.

Interestingly my GP has never offered or requested a review of BP.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I was diagnosed with high BP a couple of years ago and the medication has brought it down, but on reflection I have seen a growth in my overall levels of muscle pain and tiredness during and after exercise, plus background discomfort at other times, over the same period.

I think it is called “old age”, and, yes, have experienced same. 😊

SuffolkBlue

I took my BP quite regularly following starting the medication, but these days I rarely bother. Probably just once every few weeks if my wife reminds me.

It may well be my age but it has definitely started since being on the meds. I have been thinking of coming off them for a month or two to see if things change, but probably should check with GP first. I had my best period of cycling for years in the six months prior to starting on the meds.

Interestingly my GP has never offered or requested a review of BP.

Yes - I agree, check with your GP first. My BP is hereditary but a change in life style factors has helped and I had hoped I could get off them them but no joy and I am now resigned to taking them for life.

I think guidelines for ACEi drugs are for "periodic" renal function tests. I get a recall about every 12 to 18 months. Maybe you have a different medication - did you have renal function tests (U&Es) done after you started your current meds?

Yes - I agree, check with your GP first. My BP is hereditary but a change in life style factors has helped and I had hoped I could get off them them but no joy and I am now resigned to taking them for life.

I think guidelines for ACEi drugs are for "periodic" renal function tests. I get a recall about every 12 to 18 months. Maybe you have a different medication - did you have renal function tests (U&Es) done after you started your current meds?

No tests at all, just a change of meds (lercanidopene and losartan) after I complained that the first lot (amlodopine) were making my legs swell.

Our GP has gone downhill rapidly in service levels since Covid and is purely reactive. As long as we don't bother them they seem to assume we are OK. But I have no problem at all being a nuisance to them if I think I may have a medical problem

SuffolkBlue

No tests at all, just a change of meds (lercanidopene and losartan) after I complained that the first lot (amlodopine) were making my legs swell.

Our GP has gone downhill rapidly in service levels since Covid and is purely reactive. As long as we don't bother them they seem to assume we are OK. But I have no problem at all being a nuisance to them if I think I may have a medical problem

Ah - they are different meds. I think the renal function issue is only for ACEi. I think Losartan is an ARB and that actually protects renal function?

Shame to hear about your GP service. I feel very lucky to have the surgery I do which continues to cope (just) despite the significant increase in new housing and influx in local population without any regard for infrastructure or public services. Anyway - that's a whole new subject, I'd better stay on topic!!!

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill

what medication are you on?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
My BP is good on average, but it fluctuates wildly over quite short periods of time if I take multiple readings:

View attachment 700564

Blimey, did I count that correctly, as 28 readings on just the 23/11/22?

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill

Lercanidipine can cause muscle aches in 0.1 to 1% of people who take it, but can also interact with simvastatin (a cholesterol medication). Losartan can also cause muscle and joint aches (though I have personally not seen this in nearly 20 years as a doctor) but the frequency is not known.
Statins are also known to cause muscle aches

Top Bottom