High blood pressure?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Ok guys,at my medical a couple of days ago,my blood pressure was slightly up.Now the next day,just for my own peace of mind,i visited my docs.he told me it was nothing to worry about,loose a bit of weight,and eat healthily,get more active.which is what iv been trying to do,but the last month it all went out the window,and i put a stone on ish.My last check,just before christmas,was normal, ie 120 over 80,this time was 140 over 94,now iv never suffered with blood pressure before,so it was a surprise.
So im tapping into you lot to get some ideas for the best sorts of foods,exercise ect,to tackle this and return things to normal.I know getting more active and healthy eating is the key,but im wondering if there are certain things that can help even more in your diet,is this true?Or is it just plenty of fresh stuff,cheers.

Edit, im still smoking also.

snorri

Legendary Member
You admit to having put on a stone-ish and to be a smoker. I think I see part of the solution in the question, don't you:?: :wacko:

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
snorri said:
You admit to having put on a stone-ish and to be a smoker. I think I see part of the solution in the question, don't you:?: :wacko:

Your right,im one of those idiots thats knows the smoking risks,but havnt stopped yet,which is what im addressing,but i was hoping there may be certain foods that may be known to help more than others.xx(

stevenb

If you can quit smoking that'll be a huge help to you and your fitness.

As for your diet......you need to adapt a diet to how active a lifestyle you have I guess.

If your not exercising much then don't consume too much carbs or fat.
Fresh fruit and veg is always good for you. Vitamins are sourced from a manner of foods, Fruits, veg (frozen,fresh,canned), proteins, fats, carbs are all required in the diet.

Try to eat fish once a week....beit tinned sardineds.....mackeral (an oily fish).

Can you walk to work? Cycle to work?
Can you walk to the shops?

Try and introduce exercise of any kind into your lifestyle...every little helps.
Above all, its important that you feel good about yourself. You know when you feel healthier as it shows in everything you do.:wacko:

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Jaded said:
Salt - cut down on it.

stevenb said:
If you can quit smoking that'll be a huge help to you and your fitness.

As for your diet......you need to adapt a diet to how active a lifestyle you have I guess.

If your not exercising much then don't consume too much carbs or fat.
Fresh fruit and veg is always good for you. Vitamins are sourced from a manner of foods, Fruits, veg (frozen,fresh,canned), proteins, fats, carbs are all required in the diet.

Try to eat fish once a week....beit tinned sardineds.....mackeral (an oily fish).

Can you walk to work? Cycle to work?
Can you walk to the shops?

Try and introduce exercise of any kind into your lifestyle...every little helps.
Above all, its important that you feel good about yourself. You know when you feel healthier as it shows in everything you do.:wacko:

Salt is something i dont use much,unless with eggs,but i think if i try,ill find it in things i eat,cheers.
Fish is something i dont eat often lately,but i do like tinned sardines and mackeral,ill get some today ta.
I have been excessively sedantary lately,getting in from work sitting in the cab,and just sitting down and snoozing,bad habit and vicious circle.I ll have to get cracking again,cheers .

gbb

Legendary Member
At risk of appearing to question a doctors judgement..is the rise in BP a one off, then back to normal...or is it more permanent.
I take my BP quite regular...it can and does vary, i always assume because of work pressure, life in general, diet etc etc.

We use one of the chemist type BP monitors Col....you can get them for about a tenner. The nurse at our local doctors says they are perfectly adequate for general monitoring of BP.

snorri

Legendary Member
Col, my first response was a bit flippant, and I really cannnot advise on eating habits apart from taking less!
Regarding exercise, I think it is good to set yourself a monthly cycle mileage target, it works for me. Sign up to cyclogs.co.uk or some similar site and record your cycling mileage after every trip. Set an achievable target for a month, and try to get out most days for a few miles. It does not matter if you miss a day, just as long as you do twice as many miles the next day!
No one needs to know what your target mileage is, you are just doing it for yourself. Good luck:smile:

frog

Your BP ain't that high. Perhaps you were just excited at seeing the doc. The problem with follow up visits is they become self fulfilling prophises (sp).

Watch the diet, ditch the fags, stop putting any salt on your food (it's there already), shed the weight (slowly), and go out and enjoy yourself.

Oh yeah, and don't blink - whatever you do don't blink :biggrin:

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
gbb said:
At risk of appearing to question a doctors judgement..is the rise in BP a one off, then back to normal...or is it more permanent.
I take my BP quite regular...it can and does vary, i always assume because of work pressure, life in general, diet etc etc.

We use one of the chemist type BP monitors Col....you can get them for about a tenner. The nurse at our local doctors says they are perfectly adequate for general monitoring of BP.

He said circumstances play a big part,and just a one off was mentioned,It was a surprise to me though,as a few weeks ago it was normal.But i wont need to buy one of those monitors,as he also suggested getting a work mate to have a look for me,once im back on the ward.:biggrin:

snorri said:
Col, my first response was a bit flippant, and I really cannnot advise on eating habits apart from taking less!
Regarding exercise, I think it is good to set yourself a monthly cycle mileage target, it works for me. Sign up to cyclogs.co.uk or some similar site and record your cycling mileage after every trip. Set an achievable target for a month, and try to get out most days for a few miles. It does not matter if you miss a day, just as long as you do twice as many miles the next day!
No one needs to know what your target mileage is, you are just doing it for yourself. Good luck:smile:

Ill be doing this or similar too cheers.

frog said:
Your BP ain't that high. Perhaps you were just excited at seeing the doc. The problem with follow up visits is they become self fulfilling prophises (sp).

Watch the diet, ditch the fags, stop putting any salt on your food (it's there already), shed the weight (slowly), and go out and enjoy yourself.

Oh yeah, and don't blink - whatever you do don't blink :wacko:

That was also mentioned,being nervous about the medical,so im hoping with whats been said here,and me acting on it,things will be back to normal soon.cheers all.

Abitrary

User76 said:
Well, this is the simplest question we have ever had on here. There is only one answer, and it's STOP SMOKING.

Also, nicotine is the main culprit in this, so the nictotine stopping aids raise blood pressure as well.

gbb

Legendary Member
Theres also White Coat syndrome Col...i think you touched on it.

The wifes BP ALWAYS goes up when shes at the docs (its why we brought a cheap monitor...just to see if its normally high, or just when she goes for checkups etc)
It seems it just goes up when shes at the docs...hence white coat syndrome.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Abitrary said:
There's some herb or natural thing that begins with the letter 'R' that lowers blood pressure

You havnt got the name by chance have you?

User76 said:
Well, this is the simplest question we have ever had on here. There is only one answer, and it's STOP SMOKING.

The Framingham Heart Study (oooh, get me and my references:blush:) and subsequent long term studies have clearly shown, if you only do one thing to reduce your BP, it's pack up smoking. Simple.

Just, for heavens sake, don't ask me how to get you to give up smoking:wacko: Maybe some exploration of your very early childhood should do it:thumbsup:

Seriously though, stopping smoking is the thing to do, others on here I am sure can help and support you with that, good luck.

Its at the top of my list.

Abitrary said:
Also, nicotine is the main culprit in this, so the nictotine stopping aids raise blood pressure as well.

gbb said:
Theres also White Coat syndrome Col...i think you touched on it.

The wifes BP ALWAYS goes up when shes at the docs (its why we brought a cheap monitor...just to see if its normally high, or just when she goes for checkups etc)
It seems it just goes up when shes at the docs...hence white coat syndrome.

I think it could be this too,as i was very nervous,as i wanted everything to be ok,so i got the job.
Thanks for all advice and help,ill act on it and get it back down again,cheers.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The doc may well suggest a 24 hour monitor - this is (as the name suggests!) a box of tricks that takes your BP every so often, including while you're asleep. The BP vasodilator pills I'm on (candesartin) have no side effects I've noticed, unlike the last ones (elenapril or something like that) which gave me the Mother of all Hangovers if I had more than half a glass of wine. Which I did, every day.;)
Best bet, if you can do it, is to up the exercise, quit smoking and lose some weight. But you knew all that anyway, didn't you?:biggrin:
Of course, it could just be the stress of a new job coming up. You can't tell anything from just one measurement.

Top Bottom