High Def - can you tell the difference?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yep, a great difference as far as I am concerned. You only have to watch the football or Cycling on SD then HD to see how much difference there is.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I can too

BigSteev

Keith Oates said:
They look very good in the shops when the are being fed by a special tape (disc or whatever) but when you get them home and feed them with the local TV channels the signal is not so good and the pictures on the screen never match what you have seen in the shop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This must depend upon which shop you're in. I had a quick walk round the TV section at the local Comets the other day and I was quite frankly astonished at how poor the picture quality seemed on all of the sets on display. Nothing there would have had me parting with £100 let alone £1000.

ChrisKH

Guru
snakehips said:
My only experience of HD so far was Saturday night watching the England game at a friend's house.
We were among the lucky ones who saw adverts instead of the England goal. It had me reaching for my wallet , I tell you !

Snake

My Library

Fortunately we forgot until the commentator made a commentary about HD viewers and then we switched over. Couldn't have timed it better as we missed the USA 'goal'. :becool:

We can definitely tell the difference but I paid more to get the best quality HD I could get.

Talking of 3D, the guy who fitted the Sky HD+ box was saying my television was a waste of money now that he had seen 3D television. I can't see it being that revolutionary as people just won't want to wear glasses all the time. It's bad enough wearing them for medical reasons; I'm buggered if I want to do it for pleasure as well.

yello

I've not really appreciated the difference, no. I've seen HD teles in shops and whilst I can see that there is a difference I'm not sufficiently motivated to buy one. I'm sure it does enhance the viewing experience, and some programs really do benefit from it, but I guess it's just not my thing.

I have been in about 6 different shops that sell TVs in recent months getting other stuff. In each shop I made a point of looking for a HD tv to see what it was like. Not one had a HD tv working. So I have never seen it!

The adverts for HD on my normal TV seem to be a bit pointless- they show an image that is very clear so it rather makes the need to upgrade a bit of a waste of time.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
brokenbetty said:
I can see the difference, but once I'm watching the programme as opposed to looking at the picture, I'm not particularly aware of it. I don't enjoy the same programme more in HD.

+1. Says it all really.

Crankarm

Guru
darkstar said:
It's all about the contrast ratio when it comes to the shadows etc Just because your mate had a large flat screen TV doesnt mean it's a good picture. You can buy a 50 inch screen for £600 and a 32 inch screen for thousands. If you get a top quality Samsung, then the image is unbelievably good.

I think it was, so that's your argument torpedoed. Like others have said I have looked at some in Comet and local TV shops whilst looking for other stuff and have been totally unimpressed with the supposed quality.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Crankarm said:
I think it was, so that's your argument torpedoed. Like others have said I have looked at some in Comet and local TV shops whilst looking for other stuff and have been totally unimpressed with the supposed quality.

A high def tv is useless without source - a blu-ray player, high definition console, a STB cable/sat/freeview on a HD channel. Most of the shops are just playing special loops or freeview feeds (of varying quality) - many channels on freeview are barely standard definition.

Crankarm

Guru
marinyork said:
A high def tv is useless without source - a blu-ray player, high definition console, a STB cable/sat/freeview on a HD channel. Most of the shops are just playing special loops or freeview feeds (of varying quality) - many channels on freeview are barely standard definition.

There you go marketing hype again. To see this supposed quality you are stating you need this extra bit, that extra bit and this special box. It's all hype as far as I can see. When I used to watch TV on my small 14" some ad used to come on stating how good this TV or image was. Yes it was, an extremely good image on my current TV, so why waste money changing?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
The Crankarm family settle down for an evening's viewing :biggrin:

family-watching-tv.jpg

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
My laptop has an HD screen & Blu-Ray. The difference between DVD (lo-def) and the high-def of Blu-Ray is incredible.

Still, until my good-old 20yr-old Mitsubishi CRT telly dies I won't be upgrading to a big flat-screen HD monster. I get a perfectly good pic from it so the wasted expense is pointless right now.

Top Bottom