High Definition Telly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Just splashed out on a new HD telly, 40 inch LCD Sony Bravia, Sky HD and a PS3 for games and Blu-Ray films. Been flicking through the available channels and there doesn't really seam to be that much on offer yet. Have I done the right thing at the right time or not? :evil:

PS, if anyone wants a 28 inch Bush Widescreen Silver colour CRT telly in more or less perfect working order for the price of P&P or collect from E. London, PM me and it is yours.

Can't you fob it off to your cleaner? :evil:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Good for games - but you get HD quality using a PC monitor.... my father in law has had HD for a while, and when you get HD programmes they are good - spots and blemishes show up.... watched Shrek last Christmas (i.e. 2006) in HD at the father in-laws - awesome - you see loads more detail.

You've got a decent HD telly, so it should be great.

I bought a Panasonic Quintrix CRT 100 htz telly a few years back (before LCD's got reasonably priced), but I've not yet seen a LCD that can match it on colour/picture/brightness yet.....

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Dayvo said:
Can't you fob it off to your cleaner? :evil:

Stop being such a tight arse Dayvo, you know you wannit! It'll only cost you about a grand to get it shipped over to Oslo. xx(

Ooooh. You've really messed up with this one. You shouldn't have bought that 40". You have to refill the liquid in the LCD every year. Of course you can't just use any liquid. You have to go out and purchase some Dihydrogen monoxide, which you really have to handle with care. Check this out (http://www.dhmo.org/).

I expected more from you Dom...:evil:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
With that PS3, get yourself some BluRay movies, wire up the ps3 to a surround system, crank that volume RIGHT UP and enjoy a fantastic viewing experience

Melvil

Aye, I'd be more excited about the prospect of playing some of the lastest vid games than watching telly on it!

Nice one, anyway - I'm very tempted to splash out myself...

mr Mag00

rising member
get an xbox 360! 'gears of war' and ''call of duty' are stunning on my norm sony flatscreen. must be stunning on HDTV

oops sry i read it as psp not ps3, still get an xbox!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You only need to buy a PC monitor to enjoy PS3 Xbox 360 in HD..... that's it !

simoncc

I've seen premiership football on HD TV. Why anyone would pay extra for it or for a TV capable of showing it beats me. And I can't see Countdown or repeats of Father Ted being improved by higher definition either.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Nothing on Sky HD? They have what is it 13/14 proper high def channels now!? What do you think this is, the US with 100? Actually try cable which has just 1. It's a good time to buy as some big titles are finally coming out on blu-ray and the number of HD channels is increasing (well on sky anyway). Ofcon announced the other day about their freeview HD plans (it does affect you as a sky customer as ITV and Five will (re) launch a HD channel when they can be arsed (still waiting).

marinyork

simoncc said:
I've seen premiership football on HD TV. Why anyone would pay extra for it or for a TV capable of showing it beats me. And I can't see Countdown or repeats of Father Ted being improved by higher definition either.

You won't get much improvement on Channel 4HD on these at all because the Sky HD/4HD upscaling is so poor (depending on what channel you're watching on obviously). On the other hand the numpties who run virgin haven't even got round to adding the frigging channel yet so that's still an advantage.

bonj2

My parents have got some HD channels, and it's one of those things where you can notice the difference, mainly on people's faces - but not to the extent that you would say it 'needs' that bit extra when you're watching something in non-HD.

marinyork

sheddy said:
I fink we all know that TV is rubbish. Why pay more ?

Well absolutely on the pay more front. The whole idea on freeview is to get 5 "PSB" free-to-air HD channels on freeview and thus available to about 90% of the population (last time I read ofcon's musings on this matter which may have changed). Virgin Meeja had until recently 100 hours of VOD and 1HD channel for no additional dosh. They don't have more as they don't have the space for more.

Paying for sports coverage there is perhaps an argument for charging as that's innovative - Sky's malicious alleged attempts to block a rival from having a HD sports channel aside.

Top Bottom