High Definition Telly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PrettyboyTim

domtyler said:
Well none of the kit has arrived yet, but I have ordered:

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon
Call of Duty 4
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Earth [Blu-ray] [2007]
Beowulf [Blu-ray] [2007]

Call of Duty 4 is an excellent game - I've played the PC version - really, really enjoyable.

I've just started playing Uncharted during my lunchtimes at work - also a really good game. It's very similar in many ways to Tomb Raider games, with the cover system from Gears of War thrown in and a slightly more modern Indiana Jones-style plot. Nothing hugely innovative in it, but it's just all put together so well that you just don't care. Also, the script is pretty good and has some laugh out loud moments.

You're gonna love it!

PrettyboyTim

I was in John Lewis this afternoon.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think the picture on a plasma set is awful unless you have HD or Blueray?

John Lewis do a really bad job of showing off their TVs, but the picture can be a bit rough when you've got standard digital TV on it - the high resolution really shows off the digital compression artifacts.

However, the picture looks great when you connect it to a DVD player, especially if you've got one that'll do progressive scan or upscaling.

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
So unless you've got HD channels and are not watching dvds you're better off with an old TV than a plasma?

If you look at the picture quality on my existing Bush 28" Widescreen CRT telly that I bought five years ago for £299 in Tesco while it is displaying BBC1 through my Sky box, the picture can only be described as crystal clear. Go to any shop and look at a posh new 42 inch plasma showing the same picture and it will look dreadful.

Shaun

Founder
Well, after zipping around the web, reading reviews, flipping from site to site for pricing, etc., I've made my decision and ordered a Sony KDL-37P3020 from Amazon.

Could have got it a few quid cheaper from elsewhere, but I trust Amazon and if there are any problems, they're good to deal with and usually sort it pretty quick.

Can't wait .... :angry:

PrettyboyTim

Hence my question -what's the point?

If all you're doing is watching standard telly, there's no reason to buy an LCD over a CRT, if you're just going on picture quality.

However, CRT TVs do take up a great deal more space than an equivalent LCD ones, and are much much heavier. You've got a lot more options with an LCD about where you're going to put it.

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Hence my question -what's the point?

I have ordered Sky HD and bought a PS3 which can play games in HD and play Blu Ray disks in HD. Hopefully the quantity of HD content will continue to increase over the coming few years and I am now ready to take advantage of it. In addition I am told that the PS3 can do upscaling, whatever that is, of standard DVDs, making them look much better on a HD screen.

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Admin said:
Well, after zipping around the web, reading reviews, flipping from site to site for pricing, etc., I've made my decision and ordered a Sony KDL-37P3020 from Amazon.

Could have got it a few quid cheaper from elsewhere, but I trust Amazon and if there are any problems, they're good to deal with and usually sort it pretty quick.

Can't wait .... :angry:

That looks like a pretty good choice too Shaun, I am slightly worried that the forty inch screen is going to be a little too big for my front room after the twenty eight inch one I've got at the mo'. Hopefully it'll sit okay though.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I was in John Lewis this afternoon.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think the picture on a plasma set is awful unless you have HD or Blueray?

Well there's the issue of whether they've set them up properly for a start, I've seen Sky HD stands and quite a few retailers where it hasn't been. Standard does look rough on something like a 42". DVDs look better because DVD standard is equal to or above say freeview, something people frequently forget. Upscaling varies a lot from equipment to equipment. Some tvs do a good job but most don't. Things like the x-box 360, stand alone players and ps3 do a better job, the sky hd box does an all right job but nowt outstanding, the V+ does a pretty good job.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
domtyler said:
That looks like a pretty good choice too Shaun, I am slightly worried that the forty inch screen is going to be a little too big for my front room after the twenty eight inch one I've got at the mo'. Hopefully it'll sit okay though.

Nah, you'll soon get used to it, perhaps even start thinking it's too small after watching a few films with dodgy aspect ratios :angry:!

It's the right time to get Sky HD, they've just added a 3rd movie channel in HD, a 3rd sports channel in HD and FX HD will be coming this month. ITV HD may or may not be coming along soon too.

Shaun

Founder
I've changed my mind. I've cancelled the order for the Sony 37" and am now looking for a 40".

Any recommendations?

Budget of around £600-£650.

Cheers,
Shaun

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Admin said:
I've changed my mind. I've cancelled the order for the Sony 37" and am now looking for a 40".

Any recommendations?

Budget of around £600-£650.

Cheers,
Shaun

Shaun, take my advice and go for the same Sony as me:

Link

I did shoot loads of research and had it recommended by at least three totally separate people, for this price band it really cannot be beaten.

Shaun

Founder
domtyler said:
Shaun, take my advice and go for the same Sony as me:

Link

I did shoot loads of research and had it recommended by at least three totally separate people, for this price band it really cannot be beaten.

Funnily enough that was the one I'd decided on after a good few hours of research myself ... well that was until the missus saw the price!!! :biggrin: :sad:

I'll have to work on her over the next couple of weeks. Maybe when she sees the new kitchen, living room, and bathroom her resolve will weaken. :biggrin:

Cheers,
Shaun

Top Bottom