High Definition Telly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Since my old TV went kaput i am now living off perfectly good CRT cast-offs from relatives who have felt the urge to upgrade to LCD, just for the sake of ...err upgrading to LCD.

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Maz said:
Since my old TV went kaput i am now living off perfectly good CRT cast-offs from relatives who have felt the urge to upgrade to LCD, just for the sake of ...err upgrading to LCD.

Maz, if you want my old one let me know, it's a 28 inch Bush, silver coloured widescreen. Might cost twenty notes or so to get up to your neck o' the woods though.

Jaded

I'm waiting for HD to become widely available, and for a reasonably priced higher resolution replacement for my 110" screen.

Until then I'm happy with my setup.

Maz

Guru
domtyler said:
Maz, if you want my old one let me know, it's a 28 inch Bush, silver coloured widescreen. Might cost twenty notes or so to get up to your neck o' the woods though.
Thanks for the kind offer, dom, but I have a TV to pick up from my brother next time I visit him.

twowheelsgood

Actually, my main reason for buying such a TV was to use it as a living room computer monitor/web browser as well.

Many DVDs are better through a computer for two reasons.

Firstly only the latest DVD players have digital outputs (HDMI) and most people use s-video or SCART/RGB involving a trip through the analogue domain (and back again on an LCD).

The software/graphic-card-hardware scaling is better than many TVs or set-top boxes plus you have the option of tweaking the post-processing e.g. deblocking, noise reduction and sharpening can help.

My only problem with LCD is black level, even on the latest.

twowheelsgood

They are pretty good, I grant you but any back-lit reflective/transflexive technology is always going to suffer. Worse still, I bought mine in black 'cos it looks nicer than 1980s silver but it does make the effect worse due to contrast between the screen and cabinet.

I've heard the effect is improved by putting a small light source that matches daylight behind the actual set.

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Uncle Mort said:
I'm sure you're right. I must admit we never compared LCD directly against plasma. In the end my wife chose the one with the nicest design anyway :biggrin:

Which is exactly why the first my wife will know anything about a new telly is when it is delivered! :tongue:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
My only concern about the Sony KDL-40V3000 is that it doesn't appear to have motionflow. Otherwise looks pretty good.

yenrod

I seen a Panasonic HD wide screen big massive tv SCREEN in a Panasonic shop once whilst out perusing the shops and the picture was amazing !

Jaded

marinyork said:
My only concern about the Sony KDL-40V3000 is that it doesn't appear to have motionflow. Otherwise looks pretty good.

Is motionflow anything to do with seepage?

Maz

Guru
Jaded said:
Is motionflow anything to do with seepage?
No. This is to do with Maxine from Titty Bangbang.

I think motionflow is to do with a blurring effect when there is fast moving action on TV. e.g. a footie game, right, marinyork?

Shaun

Founder
It turns out the missus doesn't want a 40" TV bloating up her living room (well, she never said as much, but I got the look!!! :rolleyes:) ... so I've gone for the 32" KDL32D3000 instead.

Also spalshed out 30 quid on a couple of quality gold SCART leads too - should make for a better signal from our Tesco-special-cheapo DVD player, and our indispensable Sky+ box. :biggrin:

Maz

Guru
Admin - whereabouts in Hull are you? I lived there for 10 years, Off Newland Av. I really miss the place!

Shaun

Founder
Maz said:
Admin - whereabouts in Hull are you? I lived there for 10 years, Off Newland Av. I really miss the place!

Well you'll know where Goddard Ave is then? :evil:

We're at the Newland end, with the Post Office and Bank on opposite corners.

I miss it too. At the mo. we're up Beverley High Road near the big Tesco's due to flood work on our house. Seems like a million miles away, and it's too quite. I want to be back amongst the bustle of Newland.

Hopefully back to Goddard early next month though - hence the TV purchase ... well, I've got to get something nice for all the hard work managing contractors, etc. ;)

Top Bottom