High Peak Weather Report Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

danielstucke

Über Member
Anyone been up around Buxton, New Mills etc? NEed to get some climbing practice in for the Fred Whitton, thinking of heading up onto the Peaks tomorrow. Smaller roads clear or shall I stick to the main routes? Or is the wind just too cold to even think of getting up on top?!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Roads should be clear. I was a bit further north up on Woodhead Pass yesterday and the main roads have a lane clear. Strines was icy and Holme Moss still shut though.

RedBullet

everything is clear now, i only found one road which i had to get off and push yesterday but that was on the cat and fiddle to leek road and only a 100 yard stretch.

G3CWI

Veteran
The roads are clear (at least I have yet to find one that isn't). Beware of patches of ice frozen overnight from meltwater from the large snow drifts. Some minor higher roads are narrower than normal - again due to drifts. Beware of the copious quantities of grit on descents. Have fun!

OP
OP
danielstucke

danielstucke

Über Member
Twas cold. And most roads were open and completely passable. However going into the Goyt Valley was a silly idea. The Street heading down there was icy and the road out to the top of Long Hill was covered in feet of snow - was funny carrying the bike over that!

This was Pyms Chair (which still breaks be every time!):

c26739da9ade11e28b9a22000a1f9d42_7.jpg

And this was Sandy Lane on the way out of Goyt to top of Long Hill:

d58ac59a9ade11e2bad822000a9f3047_7.jpg

e763b1be9ade11e2af9822000a1f9331_7.jpg

Wind was pretty dangerous on the way down Long Hill - really gusty crosswinds.

OP
OP
danielstucke

danielstucke

Über Member
As I was writing my report above I felt sure that you would prove me wrong somewhere along the line. At least you got the miles in and got back!

No problem - quite enjoyed the extra challenge! Slicks on packed snow have as much grip as I'd always assumed - I tried my best though :smile:

RedBullet

yeah, thats what i found as i said above on the axe edge cheat between the cat and leek road. i also had to hack away at my cleats to get the ice out after walking through it. Was a different challenge to the usual though.:cold:

Top Bottom