High pressure underground oil pipelines ????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Walking one of my many four legged friends the other day I came across this ,I've seen these signs in the past but never really thought about it , what are they for and how far do they run ?

15445451958_2c01f875d0_z_zps5e1b4a06.jpg

slowmotion

Quite dreadful

Globalti

Legendary Member
A pal of mine in Newent has the gas pipeline from Milford Haven to the gassing station in Gloucestershire running behind his house. There's enough liquid gas stored in the pipeline to keep the whole of the UK going for several days and at the gassing station the heat needed to turn the liquid gas into, er, gas, is expected to create a huge zone of permafrost around the station.

gavintc

Guru
More pipes = less trucks on the road. I know that Heathrow is connected. For example, a 747 has a fuel tank capable of taking over 200 tonnes of fuel.

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
Wow I had no idea that oils was transported in such a way ,I always thought it was all road and rail ! Gas/liquid gas makes sense but I never knew the demand for oil was so much that they could target it to an area in such amounts and yes I preety much new an oil pipeline would have oil in it.

Cheers

Globalti

Legendary Member
A few years ago in Lagos the jet fuel pipeline to the airport got broken and sewage contaminated the fuel, causing bacteria to grow. At least one airline (BA) had a 747 with engine failure on the ground and had to fly out engineers to clear the bacterial sludge from the fuel systems.

Berties

Fast and careful!
We have large gas pipes going under fields near me being bought to pressure Near romsey and also a diesel line coming from fawley which keeps getting broken into by the fuel pirates ,dealing in dogs and selling lucky heather!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We have large gas pipes going under fields near me being bought to pressure Near romsey and also a diesel line coming from fawley which keeps getting broken into by the fuel pirates ,dealing in dogs and selling lucky heather!
I have no idea about the working pressure in the lines, but if I had a career choice, drilling into pipelines would come well ahead of attempting to nick copper with cutters from 11kV lines
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-26821841

Berties

Fast and careful!
I have no idea about the working pressure in the lines, but if I had a career choice, drilling into pipelines would come well ahead of attempting to nick copper with cutters from 11kV lines
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-26821841
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tres-diesel-tapping-underground-pipeline.html

Heating oil is always a favourite as well , the men were never prosecuted, and the refinery have spent thousands on a in line device to check pipe for future attempted thefts

Top Bottom