High vis clothing....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe not but personally I feel safer being visible...and that's what is important to me :smile:

Gez73

Veteran
I don't wear hi-vis to get more space on the road, it is very useful to alert others to your presence and to prevent people pulling out in front of you or peds stepping out. It's not about space for me as such but being visible. You don't get enough space from some on the road regardless of what you wear. Seems like a pointless study to be honest.

Linford

Already doing this one...the long and the short is that idiots who will deliberately make a close pass will continue to do so irrespective of what riders are wearing because they want too...however, what the study also mentioned was that high viz is useful for making road users more aware of vehicles or people in their peripheral vision as the acuity drops dramatically when we don't look directly at something. High viz is also useful for those who may be approaching at speed (who don't deliberately make punishment passes), and will buy them some extra time to adjust their speed to that of those they are looking to pass.

Last edited:

bianchi1

Guru

If you read the study you should understand that your analysis of the study and it's conclusions are wrong.

The researcher is not simply saying wearing high viz makes no difference, he is saying that drivers "do not adjust overtaking proximity as a function of a rider’s perceived experience".

He draws no conclusions about the effects of high viz clothing making cyclists more or less conspicuous.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
my hi viz vest has flashing leds which help me to be seen , yeah not the coolest looking bit of cycling clothing bit it helps keep me safe

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
my hi viz vest has flashing leds which help me to be seen , yeah not the coolest looking bit of cycling clothing bit it helps keep me safe
.... And it's a real hit down the disco on a Friday night ^_^

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You are right Mort it is illegal but it is your choice, but you must live with the consequences....ie being nicked.

Steve

Top Bottom