Higher groupset vs better wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeltz

Veteran
I'm considering (n+1) buying my 1st a carbon bike as a summer bike, it will probably be a Specialized Roubaix SL4 as I have a prolapsed disc in my back and I prefer an endurance geometry.

I could go for the Tiagra 10 speed and get the wheels swapped out for lighter stiffer ones at a decent price or go for the 105 version with stock wheels. The 105 comes with an Axis 2.0 wheel set as stock while the Tiagra is Axis 1.0 but I would still be expecting to upgrade to something better than the Axis 2.0's.

I'm erring towards Tiagra and the wheel upgrade as I could see myself still wanting to upgrade the Axis 2.0 on the 105 version and can't see that the shifting would make as much difference to the ride, the price difference is £200 and I'm prepared to spend a little more than that to upgrade the wheels on the Tiagra.

However I would appreciate other people's opinions.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I'm considering (n+1) buying my 1st a carbon bike as a summer bike, it will probably be a Specialized Roubaix SL4 as I have a prolapsed disc in my back and I prefer an endurance geometry.

I could go for the Tiagra 10 speed and get the wheels swapped out for lighter stiffer ones at a decent price or go for the 105 version with stock wheels. The 105 comes with an Axis 2.0 wheel set as stock while the Tiagra is Axis 1.0 but I would still be expecting to upgrade to something better than the Axis 2.0's.

I'm erring towards Tiagra and the wheel upgrade as I could see myself still wanting to upgrade the Axis 2.0 on the 105 version and can't see that the shifting would make as much difference to the ride, the price difference is £200 and I'm prepared to spend a little more than that to upgrade the wheels on the Tiagra.

However I would appreciate other people's opinions.

Save your money, the Axis 2.0 are rubbish wheels. At 2100g they aren't exactly light either and they use cheap single butted spokes. With £200 you can buy better wheels.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Wheels will be a much better upgrade rather than the few grams and extra sprocket you will benefit from with 105 vs tiagra.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Over 2000g!!! Id give them a miss as said
My Easton xct wheels weigh 1650g and there a robust mtb wheel..

jay clock

Massive member
difference between 105 and Tiagra will be tiny in terms of weight or performance. Never heard of those wheels so cannot comment, but would agree look at other brands. Be cynical about quoted weights whatever you buy. They always weigh them without rim tape or skewers, and even then they lie!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Personally I would go for the 105 and ride the stock wheels into the ground whilst saving up for a set of hand builts over the next year or so. 10 speed is history now, if you want to upgrade individual parts you will struggle without going secondhand. If you are already at 11 speed then you have bought yourself a few more years.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
I'd go for the 105 groupset, use the stock wheels and save up £300 for a decent set of wheels as it's an easier upgrade once it was time. Plenty of bargains around, my choice would be a nice set of Zondas, although my racing quattro's have been fantastic value for money

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Personally I would go for the 105 and ride the stock wheels into the ground whilst saving up for a set of hand builts over the next year or so. 10 speed is history now, if you want to upgrade individual parts you will struggle without going secondhand. If you are already at 11 speed then you have bought yourself a few more years.

I think the whole bike will be history within a year or two - hydraulic discs and thru axles will be the norm. Already tested on the Vuelta and they will be mainstream despite what anyone says. I'm surprised anyone is still buying expensive bikes with rim brakes - same will happen as when, a long time back now, MTB's made the big transition. All the high-end kit non-disc kit became practically worthless.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I think the whole bike will be history within a year or two - hydraulic discs and thru axles will be the norm. Already tested on the Vuelta and they will be mainstream despite what anyone says. I'm surprised anyone is still buying expensive bikes with rim brakes - same will happen as when, a long time back now, MTB's made the big transition. All the high-end kit non-disc kit became practically worthless.
Blimey, that sounds quite concerning. How soon before I wont be able to buy brake blocks do you think, should I stock up?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Blimey, that sounds quite concerning. How soon before I wont be able to buy brake blocks do you think, should I stock up?

Yes, definitely stock up. A couple of gross tucked away now and you could well have a nice, rare commodity based, pension pot in a few years time. ^_^

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'd generally go for the lower groupset and the best wheels you can blag as they'll make the biggest difference to the feel, handling and speed of the bike.

The dilemma is whether to make the change on day 1 or put up with the stock set and upgrade later - which could leave you with a set of winter wheels ....
I guess that depends on how long to save for the new set!

OP
OP
jeltz

jeltz

Veteran
Bit of a mixed bag but the wheels seem to have the edge. Unless I can get the LBS guy to do 105 + wheels at a hefty discount (and he can keep the stock ones to sell) then it seems that I'll go with my gut.

OP
OP
jeltz

jeltz

Veteran
Well it all went pear shaped when I arrived at the LBS!

A customer had bought a Roubaix SL4 Comp Disc 2016 rode it around for a few miles, didn't like it so brought it back and traded it in for something else. So I'm picking up his cast off and getting a bike which is basically new at hefty discount! Unfortunately that means the wheels stay stock but they're better wheels in the 1st place, its an Ultegra drivetrain, and hydraulic disc brakes so something has to give!

Fit and pick up at 4pm and I'll be off for a 20 miler there after!

Last edited:
Top Bottom