Highest cadence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pottsy

I've only been riding fixed for about a year and my highest cadence is creeping up slowly, currently about 150rpm.

I've heard some can reach 200rpm but I feel certain my legs would detach at the hips and beat me death at that speed.

I'm interested to hear how high others have gone and any tips for getting faster.

OP
OP
Pottsy

Pottsy

Oh, I used this to work it out by the way as I don't have cadence on my bike computer but I do have speed:

http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/ecadence.htm

domtyler

Über Member
Yeah it looks like i'll be around the 150 rpm mark as well going by that calculator. 200 rpm must be going some.

yello

200 seems in the realms of the impossible to me! Even 150 is going some. I think I've peaked around 135 but, to be honest, I like to keep my cadence on fixed around the same as on gears, i.e. 80 - 100, though obviously circumstances dictate that will be more variable on fixed.

OP
OP
Pottsy

Pottsy

Yeah yeah, excuses excuses, you're last. :biggrin:

1= Pottsy 150rpm
1= domtyler 150rpm
3 yello 135rpm

This is a good way to get my post count up.xx(

Canrider

Guru
I start to wobble around 120-130. I think it smooths out above that, but the one time I may have gone over I was more focused on not crashing than working out my cadence!

1've had over 180 on a long downhill. others in the club who regularly rode the track have had over 200. i use dthe same calculator in the link above.
you can get crazy amounts of revs. if you work out how many you do over a certain distance. but thats another thread:smile:

domtyler

Über Member
150 is not too difficult, I can even approach that on a long stretch of flat, downhill I feel I could top it with a decent tail wind but I do start to get out of breath quite quickly pedalling that fast.

Overcoming the wobbling is easy when you know how, you just have to keep trying to accelerate basically and it smooths everything out.

OP
OP
Pottsy

Pottsy

I'm sure it is. You need the momentum of the bike pushing your legs around to really get spinning fast i.e. fixed and on a descent.

1 piedwagtail91 180rpm
2= Pottsy 150rpm
2= domtyler 150rpm
4 yello 135rpm

xroads

35mph downhill on my 48x18 27" fixed works out to a cadence of about 160rpm. Dont want to be doing that again on my suicide hub.

Mr Phoebus

Just checked my bike computer, highest speed 39.7.
That'll be the other week going down Maxstoke Lane overtaking all the gearies.

52x18/ 78" according to that site that's 182 rpm.
I didn't even know I was turning that high, so I'm all chuffed now. ;)

OP
OP
Pottsy

Pottsy

I've now just managed 168rpm (32mph on 48x19), last night in Richmond Park, and then only touched that very briefly. I'm finding hard to comprehend 200rpm even more so now!!

Good effort on 182rpm Mr Phoebus.

Top Bottom