Highgate Hill fixie rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Wasn't there a group that met and did this on Thursdays, organized on the C+ site?

Is it still going on?

Climbed it today when I had to go to Finchley, and reckon it would be fun racing a bit!

48x16, was starting to remember what joy ergopower used to be............

peejay78

i fancy another go.

i started the thread off, others ran/rode with it, then it migrated to londonfgss.

Wogan

I remember the first one, although I was just a spectator by virtue of a) being dreadfully unfit and ;) having 20 gears to play with. I was amazed that anyone could make it up Highgate Hill on a fixie and the speeds attained on the way back down to Swiss Cottage were impressive...even suicidal in some cases.

It looked like a laugh, so I'm going to build meself a singlespeed/fixie for the winter. Target: complete the course by the end of the year without blowing up or slamming it into a bus stop.

Thanks for the conversion chaps. Thaps.

OP
OP
Z

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Did it again today, it can be a bit of a slog, 48x16 isn't the easiest thing for it.

I decided to descend toward archway today. Was seriously quick, new brake pads in a few weeks!

73inch

Its mainly the guys on London Fixed Gear and Single speed www.londonfgss.com. There's a thread on there where most of the regulars post to ensure that they're not going to be billy no-mates, as I don't think its quorate every week.

peejay78

i don't post there very often. some of the contributors are really full of it, very precious and pretentious - whilst pretending not to be.

they come up with good ideas for rides though.

hichakhok

hills are easier on fixed. i do highgate hill on 82" on my commute every work day. Far more hairy coming down esp with no brakes.

peejay78

isn't an 80 or 82 on the big side?

i'm having a freak out - how do i work out the gearing? i thought i knew how but now i have grave doubts.

hills our your friends.

peejay78

i think that's the route i originally plotted! on the first ride we did i nearly stacked a pedestrian in kilburn. i regularly do that loop when going round regent's park.

skut

I'm up for another go whenever you're ready :biggrin:

peejay - you are right - some of the londonfgs lot are full of it.

Top Bottom