1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Highgate Hill fixie rides

Discussion in 'Fixed Gear and Single Speed' started by zimzum42, 8 Aug 2007.

1. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

Wasn't there a group that met and did this on Thursdays, organized on the C+ site?

Is it still going on?

Climbed it today when I had to go to Finchley, and reckon it would be fun racing a bit!

48x16, was starting to remember what joy ergopower used to be............

2. peejay78

peejay78 Well-Known Member

i fancy another go.

i started the thread off, others ran/rode with it, then it migrated to londonfgss.

3. OP
    OP
    zimzum42

Any of them still riding it?

4. Wogan

Wogan New Member

I remember the first one, although I was just a spectator by virtue of a) being dreadfully unfit and ;) having 20 gears to play with. I was amazed that anyone could make it up Highgate Hill on a fixie and the speeds attained on the way back down to Swiss Cottage were impressive...even suicidal in some cases.

It looked like a laugh, so I'm going to build meself a singlespeed/fixie for the winter. Target: complete the course by the end of the year without blowing up or slamming it into a bus stop.

Thanks for the conversion chaps. Thaps.

5. OP
    OP
    zimzum42

Did it again today, it can be a bit of a slog, 48x16 isn't the easiest thing for it.

I decided to descend toward archway today. Was seriously quick, new brake pads in a few weeks!

6. 73inch

73inch New Member

Its mainly the guys on London Fixed Gear and Single speed www.londonfgss.com. There's a thread on there where most of the regulars post to ensure that they're not going to be billy no-mates, as I don't think its quorate every week.

7. peejay78

i don't post there very often. some of the contributors are really full of it, very precious and pretentious - whilst pretending not to be.

they come up with good ideas for rides though.

8. hichakhok

hichakhok New Member

hills are easier on fixed. i do highgate hill on 82" on my commute every work day. Far more hairy coming down esp with no brakes.

9. peejay78

isn't an 80 or 82 on the big side?

i'm having a freak out - how do i work out the gearing? i thought i knew how but now i have grave doubts.

hills our your friends.

10. peejay78

11. OP
    OP
    zimzum42

That's one hell of a ride, check the map link, LOL!!!!!!

12. peejay78

i think that's the route i originally plotted! on the first ride we did i nearly stacked a pedestrian in kilburn. i regularly do that loop when going round regent's park.

13. OP
    OP
    zimzum42

The link I clicked on was in Gloucester.......

14. peejay78

oh - well that is quite a ride, yes.

gosh. might pass...

15. skut

skut New Member

I'm up for another go whenever you're ready :biggrin:

peejay - you are right - some of the londonfgs lot are full of it.