Highlight of the season....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
same day as the National Trophy opener in Abergavenny..??

Christopher

Über Member
You have to be at Boggart Hole Dan, it is your front room! My fave course is Otterspool esp when set up Belgian-syle with boards and a big un-rideable climb they had 2 years ago (the Geoff Bewley IIRC which this year is on the 10 November).

Found out why my chain broke last Sunday: I had joined two different models of KMC chain together so I suppose the pins and sideplates weren't fully compatible - although that same chain lasted the whole of the Avenham CX race and two practice laps of Sundays's course. Have replaced now of course and will see you Sunday. I will bring spares this time - should get a lift from a clubmate so can bring loads. Will also test the bike properly this time.

Re last Sunday's course I thought it was poor and lacking in obstacles. Better riders could ride all the way around without unclipping which is more like XC than CX. Weren't even any Belgian boards. Wasn't a ptach on the course they had nearby 2 years ago which had some good descents and even went through a kids' sandpit....

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
How did you get on dan_bo? I was over there this morning helping to set up/marshall but had to leave early due to other commitment's so only saw the 1st race!

Watching people warming up and the 1st race really has me hankering for a CX bike so I can have a go, might have to look into a CX build on a budget!

OP
OP
dan_bo

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
You have to be at Boggart Hole Dan, it is your front room! My fave course is Otterspool esp when set up Belgian-syle with boards and a big un-rideable climb they had 2 years ago (the Geoff Bewley IIRC which this year is on the 10 November).

Found out why my chain broke last Sunday: I had joined two different models of KMC chain together so I suppose the pins and sideplates weren't fully compatible - although that same chain lasted the whole of the Avenham CX race and two practice laps of Sundays's course. Have replaced now of course and will see you Sunday. I will bring spares this time - should get a lift from a clubmate so can bring loads. Will also test the bike properly this time.

Re last Sunday's course I thought it was poor and lacking in obstacles. Better riders could ride all the way around without unclipping which is more like XC than CX. Weren't even any Belgian boards. Wasn't a ptach on the course they had nearby 2 years ago which had some good descents and even went through a kids' sandpit....

Ah Chris you've changed your name! I see!

Yesterday was ace- when you got away from the two-lap-of-the-field-starting 'selector'. Myohmy it was muddy! Good fun charging into it at full tilt just to get through it though.

Christopher

Über Member
Well that was great fun! Although I hated it for the first two or three laps then started to enjoy it. I had forgotten how hard this sport is. Ran high pressures to avoid pinch flats on all those roots. Had to stop three or four times to unclog the bike. Finished a long way down the field, in fact I was the second to last rider in - was the very last rider on the course until I overtook someone! Was a tiny bit upset when I saw the winner go over the line when I had gone on 100m further - it meant I had almost a full lap to do before finishing. Must work on the start, I timidly start at the back and pick a few places but no more. With a good start I might finish 20-30 places higher. Oh aye it was bad for broken rear mechs, saw three myself.

Top field in all that mud was exhausting. There was a reasonable path through but I could not remember the line lap to lap. Had only one fall, that was more a clipless moment. Best bit for me was bombing down the forest track half out of control and whipping past three other racers all stopped to unclog wheels. Almost as good were my lovely new CX shoes with studs in the front - I could trot straight up slopes that I'd fall over on before. Next race is Weaver Valley, not as good B Hole: up the field, down the field, up the field...

Dan, didn't see you on the course. Shame we missed each other!

OP
OP
dan_bo

dan_bo

Next race is Weaver Valley, not as good B Hole: up the field, down the field, up the field...

Dan, didn't see you on the course. Shame we missed each other!
Yeah I don't normally bother with Pignut hill these days- bit of a grassy drag, not too bad in the dry, hell in the wet.

I had no idea you was there bud!

Christopher

Über Member
Ah I wear a gaudy Red Rose Olympic club top these days - number 45! Annoyed that the knicker elastic I use for attaching the arm number kept breaking - cost me seventeen pence for three metres. Ripoff!

Had a time getting the mud off in the shower. Would have had to use a chisel if it was any harder.
Hmm, Pignut Hill has that horrible descent with a hardcore landing should you come off. I hear somene broke his leg in a CX race there, 2 years ago I saw a lady fall on the grass and get hit hard by a following bike. She has recovered (took a year) and I see her in the pits at races but I don't think she races anymore. Shame.

OP
OP
dan_bo

dan_bo

Ah I wear a gaudy Red Rose Olympic club top these days - number 45! Annoyed that the knicker elastic I use for attaching the arm number kept breaking - cost me seventeen pence for three metres. Ripoff!

Had a time getting the mud off in the shower. Would have had to use a chisel if it was any harder.
Hmm, Pignut Hill has that horrible descent with a hardcore landing should you come off. I hear somene broke his leg in a CX race there, 2 years ago I saw a lady fall on the grass and get hit hard by a following bike. She has recovered (took a year) and I see her in the pits at races but I don't think she races anymore. Shame.

I was there when that lad had someone land on his ankle (unavoidable, obviously). Grim. think it was three years ago.

OP
OP
dan_bo

dan_bo

Here's the snot rocket after the race:

IMG-20121014-00114.jpg

Top Bottom