Highway Code changes to be announced later this year, with improvements for walking and cycling…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I think some of us here commented on the draft proposals last year.

On a (sort of) related note I'm seeing a lot more nice overtakes from motorists these days. I wonder if it's because some of them have actually had a go at cycling over the last few months and so are more aware that someone passing a couple of inches from your elbow can be a bit scary.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I think some of us here commented on the draft proposals last year.

On a (sort of) related note I'm seeing a lot more nice overtakes from motorists these days. I wonder if it's because some of them have actually had a go at cycling over the last few months and so are more aware that someone passing a couple of inches from your elbow can be a bit scary.
I did wonder if the increase in people cycling would make them more aware of how scary a close pass can be.

T4tomo

Guru
Has anyone worked out what the feck they mean by:
The new code will also ensure cyclists have priority when travelling straight ahead at junctions.

now I just have to pray for the end of close passes by daft racing cyclists.
Indeed, normally a cycling club run giving you about 1 metre of space to your elbow, 5 seconds after they've all yelled at Doris in her Honda Jazz as they considered the 3 metres she gave them to not be enough ...

Indeed, normally a cycling club run giving you about 1 metre of space to your elbow, 5 seconds after they've all yelled at Doris in her Honda Jazz as they considered the 3 metres she gave them to not be enough ...
The worst often give you a cheery greeting as they are right alongside in a pathetic attempt to pre-empt your natural objection. Gave some bloke a right mouthful in a lancashire lane recently and he objected that he'd only said good morning or something. Yeh right. How'd he feel if i crept into his bedroom one night and shouted good morning in his earole?

GuyBoden

Guru
"The new code will also ensure cyclists have priority when travelling straight ahead at junctions."

It maybe or maybe not be related to this.
"Until now, there was nothing explicit in the Highway Code saying motorists or motorcyclists should not left hook, or turn across a cyclist’s path at a junction. The changes suggest just that, putting cyclists’ rights at junctions on a par with those driving."

Edit: Definitely maybe.

T4tomo

Guru
"The new code will also ensure cyclists have priority when travelling straight ahead at junctions."

It maybe or maybe not be related to this.
"Until now, there was nothing explicit in the Highway Code saying motorists or motorcyclists should not left hook, or turn across a cyclist’s path at a junction. The changes suggest just that, putting cyclists’ rights at junctions on a par with those driving."

Edit: Definitely maybe.
Ah ok that makes sense.

Someone did that to me car on car yesterday, in a large shopping centre car park with a one way loop, so effectively a one way, two lane road with parking sections either side, they were marginally ahead of me in the RH lane (having 'overtaken' me so aware I was there) and decided they would turn without indicating into the LH side parking. Twunts

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I hope they also add cyclists to the rule about giving way to pedestrians crossing the mouth of a side road (I think it may be rule 170 but have not checked) and beef it up a bit.

It is disappointing this is taking so long. I really hope the goofs get removed as a result of the extra time.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
An addition regarding Trip Wires aka Wander leads specifically rather than just Dogs should be kept on short leads on pavements and shared used paths.

I did suggest this to them. Let's 🙈

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Ah ok that makes sense.

Someone did that to me car on car yesterday, in a large shopping centre car park with a one way loop, so effectively a one way, two lane road with parking sections either side, they were marginally ahead of me in the RH lane (having 'overtaken' me so aware I was there) and decided they would turn without indicating into the LH side parking. Twunts
Car parks are one of the worst places for driving. People are busy thinking about where to park, the shopping they're about to do/have just done, the kids are whinging in the back seat, etc.

Brandane

Legendary Member
This news hasn't been received very well in HGV driving circles. Always interesting to read varying points of view. Don't shoot the messenger, but here is a recently started thread on TruckNet. It has still to get going, but don't expect much sympathy towards cyclists!

Brandane

Legendary Member

I am hoping, but not with much confidence, that it might mean where a cycle lane running parallel to a road will have the same priority as the road which it runs parallel to; rather than the current set up where you have to give way at every driveway and minor street it crosses. Such as this:
1627646433452.png

Should become like this:

1627646513775.png

Personally, I still won't be trusting any car driver to do what they are supposed to do. I find that has served me well so far.

Top Bottom