Hiking boots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
FWIW I have a pair of Scarpa Delta GTX's - not cheap but I can't fault them. Comfy, excellent build, lovely old-skool aesthetic and replacable soles to keep the conscience at bay :smile:

They only get used when necessary and (sole replacement notwithstanding) I hope they're the last pair of walking boots I'll ever need to buy..

go_110797_c?w=861&h=861.jpg

Mrs Salad and I go walking a couple of times a week. Mostly on concrete/tarmac with maybe a bit of beach walking thrown in. We go out in just about all weathers, so need something waterproof.
My old Brasher fabric and suede boots are falling to bits, so I bought some Brasher leather walking shoes. Not very wide fitting, but I am persevering and they are not too uncomfortable now, about 6 months on from purchase.

Mrs Salad has weird feet. Her second toe is longer than her big toe - a family trait in her mum's side of the family - and she finds many shoes too cramped for her toes. Added to that, she takes (usually) size 8 and there are not many shoes of any kind that fit her well, never mind walking boots.
She has a pair of Brasher shoes that are absolutely destroyed from many years of use, and which desperately needed replacing.
On a trip to Go Outdoors this week I suggested she try some men's shoes as they would be available in bigger sizes. She came away with some men's Hi Tec in size 9, and reckons they are very comfortable when worn with thick socks. Time will tell.....

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Best bet with footwear is to completely ignore the size and just go by feel. I've had a pair of shoes that claimed to be a UK mens 11 yet were a smaller fit than a pair i had claiming to be a UK mens size 9. There is no standard that all manufactures stick to. I reckon they just stick a label in that looks near enough. :angry:

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
I have been following this thread with interest as I am looking at buying a pair of hiking boots. Many have said it's important to get your feet measured at a reputable shop. Unfortunately, I am a size 12.5, so will need a size 13. I had a chat at the Cotswold shop in Birmingham, and the Scarpas I was interested only went up to size 12. I asked if they could order a 12.5 or 13, and they said no. They can only order from their warehouse.

Can anyone recommend some outlets who will help me choose the right boots. I live in Birmingham, but I am quite happy to travel to an outlet that provides a good service. If I need to travel I can make a weekend of it travelling on the train with my Thorn, purchase my boots and have a cycle around the surrounding area.

Whalley Warm & Dry was mentioned previously and looking on their website looks a good option, are there any other outlets possibly a bit closer to the West Midlands that I should consider.

Thanks

Having now had snow on the ground for the last few weeks i've dug out my other Meindl's, a pair of Canadien type boots called Sölden (mine are the old version of this).

Did some walks over Christmas and New Year and used these, also for snow shoe walking as they are surprisingly light.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Having now had snow on the ground for the last few weeks i've dug out my other Meindl's, a pair of Canadien type boots called Sölden (mine are the old version of this).

View attachment 625869

Did some walks over Christmas and New Year and used these, also for snow shoe walking as they are surprisingly light.
They are not that expensive neither ?! Handy for when it’s really wet or your jumping off n puddles :whistle:

Top Bottom