Hiking boots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Currently using a pair of Mountain W'Hse reduced to half price from £160. All leather, light and very comfortable. For me, Vibram soles are to be preferred. My last pair of boots so soled lasted nearly 20 years. I much prefer all leather as it makes waterproofing much easier with dubbin ( go on someone, say it - ! ) :laugh:

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Currently using a pair of Mountain W'Hse reduced to half price from £160. All leather, light and very comfortable. For me, Vibram soles are to be preferred. My last pair of boots so soled lasted nearly 20 years. I much prefer all leather as it makes waterproofing much easier with dubbin ( go on someone, say it - ! ) :laugh:
They will never have been £160 even to start with. Its very deceptive when shops do that, lie about the initial price to make out you are getting a bargain.I don't like MW personally because I think the gear is very poor quality.

geocycle

Legendary Member
My 17 year old all leather zamberland boots have started leaking. A trip up to Ambleside will sort that out but not sure whether to go with leather or lighter weight fabric this time. My walking is less adventurous although the weather remains stubbornly wet.

For the last 27 years I just go along to my local branch of Tiso (Rose St) and buy whatever fits best. I currently have Zamberlain boots and Meindl shoes, I’ve had them both for several years and am very satisfied. My previous pair of boots were Zamberlains too, they gave excellent service before the soles wore out. I’ve kept them, intending to have the soles replaced, but haven’t got round to it.

Ridgeback Roller

Über Member
I've been using Berghaus Hillwalker leather boots for the last 4 months. So far so good, they give good support and are definitely waterproof, having been road tested on a very wet walking holiday in the Lake District. The sole isn't as high tech as some but they grip well on the slippery chalk of the South Downs, which hasn't been the case with some of my previous boots. I tend to mess around with various insoles to improve comfort but these were pretty good from the off. At around £130 pair they seem quite good value.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Just bought a pair of Altbergs, which are comfy, and seem very well built, and surprisingly light for substantial seeming boots. Not cheap at some £230 but I think good value. After buying them, I saw in their leaflet they actually do a range with different width fittings, which I would have investigated had I known before purchasing these. The model I went for is Nordkapp - a so say 3 season boot which I expect to be fine for flexible crampons (walking not climbing proper)

potsy

Rambler
I got some Scarpa boots a few months ago, they have their own branded sole, not a Vibram...
They are so comfortable, light, waterproof but absolutely lethal on any smooth damp surface!

Will be investing in something with a much more grippy sole next time, maybe save these for drier conditions :rolleyes:

presta

Guru
In my walking days I used to wear Brashers up until the manufacture switched from K-Shoes to Guimar, then they changed the design, and the new ones were too narrow. They were comfortable to walk in, but they didn't last very long, a year or two as I recall. After the Brasher franchise went to Guimar, K-Shoes started making a boot called Wainwright which was a copy of the Brasher, but the fit wasn't quite as good over the instep. I bought a couple of pairs but they didn't get much use, as I switched to a pair of Scarpa Trek when I started walking on more rough pathless terrain.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I stopped using Mountain Warehouse when it was pointed out to me that pretty much 99% of their goods are made of plastics.

It doesn't seem right to buy stuff that harms the outdoors, so I can go and look at the outdoors.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Although I've not walked a million miles in them yet... I'm rather impressed with the walking boots from Aldi...

Adults%27-Walking-Boots-Brown-A.jpg

Good comfy fit, nice grippy sole, relatively thin leather uppers and those cheap looking fabric lace loops haven't broke yet... but for a penny shy of twenty quid!

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Although I've not walked a million miles in them yet... I'm rather impressed with the walking boots from Aldi...

View attachment 625387

Good comfy fit, nice grippy sole, relatively thin leather uppers and those cheap looking fabric lace loops haven't broke yet... but for a penny shy of twenty quid!
Worth a punt at that ££ , I’ve had boots in the past Karrimor boots , non leather . We’re ok to be fair but last pair we bought the metal loops snapped off with corrosion. Do think you get what you pay for in the end.

Jenkins

Legendary Member

View attachment 625387

I've got a pair but didn't find them that comfortable - they seemed to bend in just the wrong place and rubbed the top of my foot. However they are fantastic winter cycling shoes with flat pedals being warm & fairly waterproof.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I stopped using Mountain Warehouse when it was pointed out to me that pretty much 99% of their goods are made of plastics.

It doesn't seem right to buy stuff that harms the outdoors, so I can go and look at the outdoors.
I think Mountain Warehouses products are very poor quality that's why I wont buy them.
The most crippling boots I've ever had were Altbergs and I was measured for them, I was given a refund in the end. I wouldn't buy another pair.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Worth a punt at that ££ , I’ve had boots in the past Karrimor boots , non leather . We’re ok to be fair but last pair we bought the metal loops snapped off with corrosion. Do think you get what you pay for in the end.
I've had that before but the rest of the boot was worth saving so I drilled it out and put brass eyelets in... got a few more years out of those boots :okay:

Top Bottom