Hiking boots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I think the industry is missing a trick for lowland muddy dog walking style footwear.
You need a bit of grip, an ankle high enough to keep stuff out and a material that is weatherproof and durable. You don't need ankle support or cushioning around the ankle or arctic insulation.
I would like to see a leather trail shoe with a rubber rand and an extended higher upper of fabric gaiter style. Not a separate gaiter but just enough upper to keep mud out.
This doesnt fit into any current marketing segment and mud doesnt sell.
Something like these? It's what I use and they are brilliant for exactly that.

https://www.landsend.com/article/mens-work-boots/

Something like these? It's what I use and they are brilliant for exactly that.

https://www.landsend.com/article/mens-work-boots/
Duck boots are great in slush but in those conditions, I would be in wellies. The 2-tone upper of duck boots is the concept I mean, but instead of rubber and leather, it is leather and w/p fabric.

Brands come in and out of fashion similarly their quality goes up and down too.

My first decent boot was a scarpa sl. Lasted over 10 years of which most was hard use too. I replaced them when they finally died.

I got the same make and model. It lasted a year then suddenly the sole cracked right through at the midstep. I mean catastrophic crack from side to side right through to wet feet. They wore down a lot quicker than the original scarpa SL boots but still had plenty tread and life in them. I think it was where the groove to take those special version yeti attac gaiters extra rubber sole strap thing.

I thought it was unlucky so I bought a third, actually I had two long living ones then a year one so it's a fourth. Same make, model and size. Didn't last 6 months. Leather was cracking despite looking after them, sole was worn right down and they were cracking.

Years ago zamberlan and scarpa were equivalent quality. Then zamberlan kind of disappeared in England. Possibly quality or financial issues. Then they came back reasonably strongly with good, new designs. That was about when scarpa was becoming iffy I reckon. I still rate zamberlan boots.

Salomon boots and shoes are slippy on wet terrain. Really dodgy IME.

Above all try for fit with a good boot fitter.

I think the industry is missing a trick for lowland muddy dog walking style footwear.
You need a bit of grip, an ankle high enough to keep stuff out and a material that is weatherproof and durable. You don't need ankle support or cushioning around the ankle or arctic insulation.
I would like to see a leather trail shoe with a rubber rand and an extended higher upper of fabric gaiter style. Not a separate gaiter but just enough upper to keep mud out.
This doesnt fit into any current marketing segment and mud doesnt sell.
I bought some Salomon goretex trainers for wet walks but they didn't last that long and weren't cheap. I'm alternating between wellies, some nice waterproof walking shoes and trainers depending on the weather and terrain for the walks.

Screwfix do some waterproof rigger boots for £30 that I might try next year.
Dog walking is hard on footwear.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Waterproof membranes are a waste of cash IMHO. Always hole through given time.
Altbergs for me for hillwalking: I pay a visit to the factory and usually get somethIng with discount - maybe a slight mark or whatever gets you 20% off if you’re preparEd to haggle.
William Lennon work boots for walling: literally tough as old boots. Buy two pairs at a time and rotate. Go through two pairs a year.
Guy Cotten wellies for all other duties calling for comfort in wet and mud. Excellent for dog walking

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Lowa GTX the MOD upgrade. They’ll last over 10 years too.
Bloody defence cuts again eh?

Mrs M

Guru
North Face goretex boots.
Bogs wellies if it’s really bad.
Did have Salomon boots but found the sole really slippy so downgraded them to gardening boots.
Disappointing as I have had a few pairs of Salomon trail shoes which I use for walking in better weather and cycling too.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I don't think they were planning a 10 day hike across uncharted terrain.
Hi Tec boots, the leather ones are perfectly fine for dog walking, the op wants them for that.
I know the spec that the OP mentioned, I was only going for a recommendation on durability. I.e. I've had my Meindl for 5 years and I fully expect 10 more. I'm not mountaineering, not doing the three peaks, just walking a lot.

He (the OP) is more than welcome to go for Hi Tec if that's what he wants, my Hi Tec were very soft soled and I got stress fractures, plus they started to wear out in about 10 weeks, not 5 years. They're just rugged trainers, that's all they are. "Your mileage may vary" as our US members might say.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I know the spec that the OP mentioned, I was only going for a recommendation on durability. I.e. I've had my Meindl for 5 years and I fully expect 10 more. I'm not mountaineering, not doing the three peaks, just walking a lot.

He (the OP) is more than welcome to go for Hi Tec if that's what he wants, my Hi Tec were very soft soled and I got stress fractures, plus they started to wear out in about 10 weeks, not 5 years. They're just rugged trainers, that's all they are. "Your mileage may vary" as our US members might say.
I wasn't having a particular pop, its just there were a lot of recommendations for £200 boots, which whilst excellent in themselves maybe over specced for purpose. My first Hitec, bought for £30-35, lasted me 25 years, which is why i went to them for a second pair (the first eventually developed a small crack in the flex zone) which were circa £50. Time will tell if they prove to be as durable. I'm not doing any extreme walking and might find them more limited if I did, but I do feel they have good support.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I wasn't having a particular pop, its just there were a lot of recommendations for £200 boots, which whilst excellent in themselves maybe over specced for purpose. My first Hitec, bought for £30-35, lasted me 25 years, which is why i went to them for a second pair (the first eventually developed a small crack in the flex zone) which were circa £50. Time will tell if they prove to be as durable. I'm not doing any extreme walking and might find them more limited if I did, but I do feel they have good support.
It's a bit like a thread on Pistonheads at the moment where people are buying winter coats that are designed to be used on K2 and wondering why they can only wear a T shirt underneath. I mentioned a Parka from Lands End and you could hear the intake of breath :laugh:

Top Bottom