Hill climbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Especially the one in Richmond park ( clock wise ) .
By the time I get to the top I am in first gear and pulling wheelies trying to get the bike to the top . I drop my gears down as I go up the hill when I feel my legs start to struggle . Am I doing something wrong as I am totally knackered when I get to the top where as others just pick up the pace and carry on .

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Just keep doing it, it gets easier with time :smile:. One tip: as you ride up a hill, try dropping to lower gears just before your legs start to struggle with the current gear, as this makes the transition easier.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
As victor said, drop the gears before you are struggling, you want to try and keep a good cadence, most say around 90rpm but really it's what ever is comfortable for you.

At the top, you need to take a deep breath of MTFU and just power up to a higher speed, once you get to it, it's easy to hold again.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
It might be easier to stand up and do a low cadence in a higher gear than to keep up the high cadence seated when the going gets as steep as Broomfield.

I remember the first time I did it it seemed steep and endless. Now I wonder what the fuss was :S

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
I don't know the hill in Richmond Park so can't comment on that, but, a rule I follow is not to change gear whilst climbing. Select your gear just before you hit the bottom of the hill, comes with practice to gauge the right one but doesn't take long. If it's a short sharp climb, out of the saddle all the way, a long less-of-a-gradient hill in the saddle, differing grades means in and out to suit, but always in the same gear.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
I don't know the hill in Richmond Park so can't comment on that, but, a rule I follow is not to change gear whilst climbing. Select your gear just before you hit the bottom of the hill, comes with practice to gauge the right one but doesn't take long. If it's a short sharp climb, out of the saddle all the way, a long less-of-a-gradient hill in the saddle, differing grades means in and out to suit, but always in the same gear.
Whilst I mostly agree and do think its good to get in the right gear before a hill on a long climb I find it better to get in the habit of changing up as you stand up/ the going get easier, to have gears to fall back on as you sit down/ the going gets tough. IME and it may only be psycological running out of gears when you need them is like hitting a wall. The process is easier said than done though to ensure a smooth transition through the gears.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Is it not as tough getting up the one on the other side of the park then ?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Is it not as tough getting up the one on the other side of the park then ?

Ride round A/C and find out ;-)

My strategy for Broomfield is not to overcook the approach, unless theres a rare tailwind. When it gets going Get out of the saddle for maybe 10 secs then sit back down for 10...

Tyke

Whilst I mostly agree and do think its good to get in the right gear before a hill on a long climb I find it better to get in the habit of changing up as you stand up/ the going get easier, to have gears to fall back on as you sit down/ the going gets tough. IME and it may only be psycological running out of gears when you need them is like hitting a wall. The process is easier said than done though to ensure a smooth transition through the gears.
Fully with you on this it`s always good to get the gears back as you climb and the higher gear helps to stop you spinning when standing up.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There are hills in Richmond park ?
I was wondering about that too! :thumbsup:

Ah - there are 2 hills per 7 mile lap, with about 300 ft of climbing, so not extremely hilly, but not flat either ...

road_profile.gif

Top Bottom