Hill climbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I run 39/23 on 700c 23s as the lowest ratio: A proper gentleman's gear on a proper (metal) bicycle.

People tear past me on Malvern ascents, then I get to the top and see that they have thee chainrings. Three!!!!

Three chainrings.... It even sounds silly to say. A small one, a slightly smaller one and a tiny one!

I couldn't make it up! THREE chainrings! They'll be building bicycles out of carbon fibre and titanium next.

Sometimes I simply do not know what the world's coming to.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Cheers Nickyboy, got it mixed up, it was snake pass at the weekend then Mam tor with a nasty one at Charlesworth before them both, Safe to say Snake pass was the most enjoyable with a few epic failures on the others, i hit a proper wall on all them nasty high gradient buggars

The Brickworks is a great climb and not far from you at Rostherne. Head to Adlington then upto Pott Shrigley and you will see the Old Brickworks signposted just after Mottram Hall hotel. You can then head down to Whaley Bridge to go up Long Hill to Buxton or up past Wingatherer to the Goyt Valley. It is a little steeper than the Cat and Fiddle and The Snake but not too hard and far far less traffic.:thumbsup:

Mickthemove

Über Member
The Brickworks is a great climb and not far from you at Rostherne. Head to Adlington then upto Pott Shrigley and you will see the Old Brickworks signposted just after Mottram Hall hotel. You can then head down to Whaley Bridge to go up Long Hill to Buxton or up past Wingatherer to the Goyt Valley. It is a little steeper than the Cat and Fiddle and The Snake but not too hard and far far less traffic.:thumbsup:

Cheers Hacienda, we are going out via Wilmlow to pott Shrigley on Sat, then poss up to polocinis then back Hale so will work in the Brickworks! thanks

Mickthemove

Über Member

Had a good ride up the brickworks on Sat, thanks for the nod on that, Down into Whaley Bridge and then a proper downhill blast down on the A6 to the Poynton turn, Great fun!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Had a good ride up the brickworks on Sat, thanks for the nod on that, Down into Whaley Bridge and then a proper downhill blast down on the A6 to the Poynton turn, Great fun!
If you want to extend that run there is a right turn in Kettleshulme which takes you up past Windgatherer to Pyms Chair where you can drop down into the Goyt Valley via The Street and then climb out of there to the Cat and Fiddle road. :thumbsup:

cd365

Guru
There is a long uphill drag on my commute that I used to seriously struggle on. This morning I saw a cyclist about 150 yards in front of me, wondered if I would catch him by the top. Within 300 yards I had caught him and gone past him like he was standing still

gbs

Guru
ahha! The old NvS sniping! why is it always the Nside that feels they have to snipe?

I lived (and cycled) in Yorkshire as a boy and got into cycling seriously a few years ago here in the SE so maybe I have a more balanced view. OP's implicit point is that a challenge beyond the norm for your territory or experience is potentially exhausting/knackering. I say: do not be hard on yourself and accept that effort and time are required to build the technique/physical and mental stamina. My great cycling buddy will admit to finding Broomfield Hill difficult but every year he takes a week in the Alps in his stride. FWIW, my view is that "if you think you can not do it there is no risk that that you will be wrong". So, spin away and keep positive.

Top Bottom