Hill climbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Now this is a proper route profile if we're talking hills (or mountains in this case!)

Hills.png

That's my commute, although just the short winter version.

lukesdad

That's my commute, although just the short winter version.
Do you work in mountain rescue ? :biggrin:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I had my first experience of hills on the Cheshire Cat a month back and could not believe how tough a proper climb could be!( i walked most of them), since then i am obsessed by the buggars and have done ditchling beacon, monsal head and mam tor and this weekend will attempt the cat and fiddle! I know that some people could push the bike up quicker than i go but the pleasure a hill gives me at the top is worth it! BTW i have only been riding for 9 weeks and weigh over 120 KG(was 133) and the wrong side of 44 years old

If you managed to get up Mam Tor then Cat and Fiddle will feel like a gentle downhill ride! If you've only been riding for 9 weeks you still have a lot of fitness improvement to go so you can expect to get much better on the hills. I have sadly "plateaued"

Mickthemove

Über Member
If you managed to get up Mam Tor then Cat and Fiddle will feel like a gentle downhill ride! If you've only been riding for 9 weeks you still have a lot of fitness improvement to go so you can expect to get much better on the hills. I have sadly "plateaued"

Cheers Nickyboy, got it mixed up, it was snake pass at the weekend then Mam tor with a nasty one at Charlesworth before them both, Safe to say Snake pass was the most enjoyable with a few epic failures on the others, i hit a proper wall on all them nasty high gradient buggars

I don't know the hill in Richmond Park so can't comment on that, but, a rule I follow is not to change gear whilst climbing. Select your gear just before you hit the bottom of the hill, comes with practice to gauge the right one but doesn't take long. If it's a short sharp climb, out of the saddle all the way, a long less-of-a-gradient hill in the saddle, differing grades means in and out to suit, but always in the same gear.

I liked this. I still sometimes see a hill and try to think of a gear that will get me to the top.

I may be wrong, but I suspect that much of your riding was done before they invented these new-fangled, flappy-button, Ergo-Sex-Dango thingummies on the brake lever.

Although I now have Ergos on everything except the MTB and the fixed-gear, my brain is still in 1982 and I look (before a climb) for a single gear that will get me up.

Before Ergo-shifts, did anyone actually change gear out of the saddle?

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
I liked this. I still sometimes see a hill and try to think of a gear that will get me to the top.

I may be wrong, but I suspect that much of your riding was done before they invented these new-fangled, flappy-button, Ergo-Sex-Dango thingummies on the brake lever.
I started road riding in 2010, straight in with Ultegra shifters. I've never experienced down tube shifters yet. I've a Raleigh Pro Race which I'm currently working on for a winter bike so won't be long though.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Cheers Nickyboy, got it mixed up, it was snake pass at the weekend then Mam tor with a nasty one at Charlesworth before them both, Safe to say Snake pass was the most enjoyable with a few epic failures on the others, i hit a proper wall on all them nasty high gradient buggars

Mam Tor I reckon is one of the hardest climbs in the Peak District so no shame in having a rest on the way up. If you're getting up the Snake then your fitness is getting there. There are loads of similar climbs in the area like Isle of Skye (Greenfield to Holmfirth), Rushop Edge (Chapel to Castleton). Give Long Hill (Whaley Bridge to Buxton) a try. 5 miles @ 3% is good fun

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have come to the the conclusion (based on a close study of OH and other loonies members of this forum), those that like hill climbing have a screw loose. Or possibly several.
I mean...... really..... what is enjoyable about puffing and panting up a bloomin' hill and nearly expiring?????? It's not put there as a personal challenge for the loonies hill climbing oddballs people (really) - it's there because it was in the way when they built the roads! :biggrin:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have come to the the conclusion (based on a close study of OH and other loonies members of this forum), those that like hill climbing have a screw loose. Or possibly several.
I mean...... really..... what is enjoyable about puffing and panting up a bloomin' hill and nearly expiring?????? It's not put there as a personal challenge for the loonies hill climbing oddballs people (really) - it's there because it was in the way when they built the roads! :biggrin:

A sense of achievement.
I have lost count the number of times I have been with people and seen them absolutely shattered but elated that they have conquered a hill that had previously defeated them.

Top Bottom