Hill climbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As I am starting to get more and more into this road cycling malarky, I want to improve my hill climbing. The bit I would specifically want to improve is my out of saddle climbing. I've got quite strong quads, but obviously not tuned for cycling as I find I can only really stand of the seat and pump my legs hard for 30 seconds max. What is the best exercise to improve this? I assume squats would help, but what would be better, shallow or deep squats (I assume shallow as your legs don't bend too far.

Obviously I need to do more out of the seat climbing on the bike, but any other exercises would help!:ohmy:

I am Spartacus

Über Member
magnatom said:
other exercises would help!:ohmy:

Simple..just more hills.. learn to pull up so that you feel from calf, hams and backside if you want a little more to 'it'

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I am Spartacus said:
Simple..just more hills.. learn to pull up so that you feel from calf, hams and backside if you want a little more to 'it'

Oh aye, I'll be doing more of those! :ohmy: Just wondered if there was something that could supplement it.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
to be honest.. no.. a hour in the gym doing squats isnt going to make you any quicker uphill.... strength mind and power on the hill is tho'

find a frightening incline.. over 25% and do it in minimum 39/26 to start with :ohmy:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Is that average incline or maximum! :ohmy: Some of the nearby hills certainly have gradients up to 20% (I'm sure Tak Ma Doon must be 20% in places). Anyone know any 25% gradients near Glasgow?

I've actually changed my cycling style on my commute. Instead of sitting in the saddle on the short climbs I am standing up and trying to power up them. It is making for much faster commute times!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
cycle everywhere single speed for a while, choose a gear you can just about do and up it as you get better. 300 miles of this saw me going from only managing about 30 seconds out of the saddle to being able to do 6-7 minutes when required. You'll be surprised the hills you can get up.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
you'll be pushed to find a constant 25%er over say a few hundred metres or whatever.. but thats NOT the point here.. actually what you mention.. accelerating HARD up any hill (shortish) and THEN keep acceleration ON by flicking up 1 or 2 gears for another 100 metres..... excellent training.. suggest you recover for 4/5 minutes tho

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Mac Bludgeon, I have thought about getting a fixie or a single speed for my commutes for winter commuting. The only thing holding me back is the fact I have had knee problems in the past (3 right knee ops for old judo injury). I'm just a little concerned this type of riding might not be good for the knee, although I have found cycling in general has been good for it.

IAS, yes I'll keep up the short hill sprints, obviously taking into account traffic conditions etc!:ohmy:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
definitely watch the knees but the joy of doing it on your geared bike is that you have the option to use the gears when tired etc. If you get a set SS or Fixed then you either ride it out or push. As mentioned I did my commute, some local loops, the Mannigtree ride(totalled 115 miles for the day). Then the night ride to Brighton, I cycled from home to HPC and all the way to Turners hill before I finally had to give in and change gears, that hill could have broken either me or the bike.

But we're not talking about taking on silly hills in one gear here, merely improving your out of the saddle stamina and style. Just doing your usual commutes in one gear will give you plenty of time out of the saddle and also plenty of spinning as well.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Problem is, I'd probably not want to run just one gear on my good bike. Replacing an ultegra cassette might cost a few quid! ;)

My LBS said they could probably do me a single speed/fixie for about £100. I am tempted to do this to get me through the winter. My knee feels good even when I grind a bit. Mmmm.

magnatom said:
Is that average incline or maximum! ;) Some of the nearby hills certainly have gradients up to 20% (I'm sure Tak Ma Doon must be 20% in places). Anyone know any 25% gradients near Glasgow?

I've actually changed my cycling style on my commute. Instead of sitting in the saddle on the short climbs I am standing up and trying to power up them. It is making for much faster commute times!
The Tak Ma Doon is only 17.5% at steepest. Back to your original Q, I think practice is the only way.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

HLaB said:
The Tak Ma Doon is only 17.5% at steepest. Back to your original Q, I think practice is the only way.

So you say, but I think your GPS is averaging out some of the hills too much! ;):laugh:

levad

Veteran
The man wants a fixie ... no amount of other suggestions is going to change his mind. I am in the same boat about going up hills better, everybody says lose weight and practise. I lost over 1/2 Kg off the bike by changing from 700x28 touring tyres and tubes to 700x25 Gatorskins. I only did this last Saturday, today was my first commute this week after a sportive on Sunday and I got up the steepest hill coming home 1.5 to 2mph quicker!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Magnatom

If your LBS can sort one out for you for 100 quid, might aswell give it a go :ohmy:
I'd be tempted to ask for a flip flop hub with options of 2 gear lengths that you can select as required. Something early 60's one side and upper 60's on the other, maybe :blush:

SD

Top Bottom