Hill intervals: Improve your climbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
What a revelation, riding at higher intensities leads to improvements in fitness..............

If i remember correctly you are quite light, so yes just keep at it. There is no weight issue, it's just all about turning what weight you do have into as much power as possible. Also known as power to weight ratio.

With regular training Matthew, i am sure you could be quite the climber. ;)

In fact anyone who puts in the training, and keeps on top of their weight, can be. you are already half way there.

I wise pro cyclist once said that every training session should have a purpose. Make every pedal stroke count.

Biker Joe

Über Member
I've done such interval training in the past though I wouldn't like to do it now in my present physical condition.
I remember when first getting to 90% MHR I thought I was going to die, my heart felt it would jump straight out of my chest.:eek:
It's quite tough training but effective.
You definitely need a good warm up before you try it.
Give it a go, it's quite an experience. But I wouldn't try it unless you are reasonably fit.

GrasB

Veteran
Find a hill of around six-eight per cent gradient....
There is absolutely no need for a hill. The only thing you need is a big enough gear to get resistance for high pedal forces. To your body there's no difference to applying 100kgf at 60rpm to the pedals on the flat, on a 8% or a 30% gradient.

If we were to get overly critical we could point out that the body position is slightly different when climbing. I agree it is of course ALL resistance but to get better at hill climbing one would be advised to climb hills. Learn how to climb in the saddle and out. The pro's don't prepare for the season with huge gears and flat roads and there is a reason for that. Physical and mental.

Consider going up a 30% gradient and having to stop half way up. this would not be the case on a flat section in a big gear. You could simply coast or change down. The 30% hill represents the real life challenge of the climb. Why simulate unless there are no hills in your area?

30% gradients aren't that common in the UK ;)

Regardless of riding position (which can change on the flat, as well as on hills - mine frequently does), riding up hills is the same as riding on the flat, except that you go slower for more effort. As long as your aerobic system can cope with sustained effort, that's all that matters :smile:

The pro's don't prepare for the season with huge gears and flat roads and there is a reason for that

Indeed - they are all paid to go on training camps in Majorca or Tenerife and not all of us are that lucky, which means the only option for a lot of people is to improvise. Which is why you can't really compare how the pros train to how the rest of us train.

Biker Joe

Über Member
If we were to get overly critical we could point out that the body position is slightly different when climbing. I agree it is of course ALL resistance but to get better at hill climbing one would be advised to climb hills. Learn how to climb in the saddle and out. The pro's don't prepare for the season with huge gears and flat roads and there is a reason for that. Physical and mental.

Consider going up a 30% gradient and having to stop half way up. this would not be the case on a flat section in a big gear. You could simply coast or change down. The 30% hill represents the real life challenge of the climb. Why simulate unless there are no hills in your area?

+1

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I've done such interval training in the past though I wouldn't like to do it now in my present physical condition.
I remember when first getting to 90% MHR I thought I was going to die, my heart felt it would jump straight out of my chest.:eek:
It's quite tough training but effective.
You definitely need a good warm up before you try it.
Give it a go, it's quite an experience. But I wouldn't try it unless you are reasonably fit.

Don't be so dramatic!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If my planned house sale goes ahead a nice local hill will be less than quarter of a mile from my house, i currently go up it once a day to work but i have already planned a couple of repeats a day as my route will be shorter .....

30% gradients aren't that common in the UK ;)

Regardless of riding position (which can change on the flat, as well as on hills - mine frequently does), riding up hills is the same as riding on the flat, except that you go slower for more effort. As long as your aerobic system can cope with sustained effort, that's all that matters :smile:

Indeed - they are all paid to go on training camps in Majorca or Tenerife and not all of us are that lucky, which means the only option for a lot of people is to improvise. Which is why you can't really compare how the pros train to how the rest of us train.
Okay lets just say if you live near hills, and wish to get better at hill climbing, then training on those hills would be a decent option. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom