Hill repeats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
I'm planning on getting up at horrible o'clock at the weekend and finding a hill, probably Braested, and doing repeats in the dark before the family gets up.

I've not done hill repeats before, is it as boring and hard as it sounds?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Depends how hard you ride up the hill. :tongue:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Up - pain
doooooowwwwwnnn
Up - pain
doooooowwwwwnnn
Up - pain
doooooowwwwwnnn
Up - pain
doooooowwwwwnnn
Up - pain
doooooowwwwwnnn
Up - pain
doooooowwwwwnnn
Up - pain
doooooowwwwwnnn
Up - pain
doooooowwwwwnnn
Up - pain
doooooowwwwwnnn
Up - pain
doooooowwwwwnnn

hmm... that's boring in my book... but if that's what you want to do then knock your self out.

Why just stick to Brasted? Go along the ridge, Hogstrough, Hosey, Toys, Ide, Underiver... make a ride of it.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Time. I don't have time for a long ride, so an hour of misery is my plan (I don't have a turbo)

There is no "easy" on Braested, I'm always crawling at 3kph verging on seizure.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Indeed - but seriously for a second is there anything to it?

A set rest period, target heart rates etc - or simply up and down until you can't anymore?

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Not really familiar with your area- but can you not find a valley? You can at least then be going up and down two different hills?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Not really familiar with your area- but can you not find a valley? You can at least then be going up and down two different hills?

Se my post above. The hills I mentioned are along the Kent ridge. You can go up on and down the other, but Tinpot want's to do repeats, so no point.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Indeed - but seriously for a second is there anything to it?

A set rest period, target heart rates etc - or simply up and down until you can't anymore?
I gather you should set your gear at the bottom, and control your cadence and breathing all the way, staying in the same gear. That, repeated. I did read somewhere about 5 minute breaks, but then you could count rolling back down the hill for that..
I keep meaning to do the same thing, but given I hate hills have so far avoided it

Depends what your goal is from doing the repeats. If you are 'always crawling at 3kph verging on seizure' I'm not sure I see the point. And if you try this, the second attempt is likely to end in misery.
On the other hand, I have a hill near to me that has 5 roads going up it and I use 3 of them to gain/gauge early year fitness so that alleviates the boredom of going up/down the same route 3 times. I also like hills!!

What's your aim, to get quicker? I do have a little hill circuit I do and it helps me to adjust mentally to hill climbing and seems to improve my stamina but then again so does other riding. You do get used to a hill, you know where you can relax a bit and where you need to push on. They say and I think it's true, that to improve speed and strength, you are better off doing interval and tempo riding. I think someone like @Robert will be able to give you the skinny.

Citius

As above - a lot depends on why you want to do it and what benefit you are hoping for. You might find that an hour on the flat at a steady/constant/high pace might be more beneficial from a fitness/intensity/calorie loss perspective.

Top Bottom