Hills, hills, hills...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
There are some days when I wouldn't mind doing a flatter route. Yesterday didn't quite work out that way...

elevation_profile.jpg

That's Devon, Somerset and Dorset for you. I enjoy some flat riding, but quickly get bored. Give me hills any day.

dst87

I did my first hill yesterday in Linlithgow (a very steep one!). It was way more exhausting that I could ever have imagined! It certainly felt like a challenge though and I look forward to seeing myself get better/fitter at doing them.

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
The irony is that riding in Devon is actually poor training for riding in the Alps: Norfolk is better preparation, on the whole: you never get into a rhythm in Devon (effort levels constantly changing, and hills rarely lasting more than ten minutes) whereas Alpine riding is all about settling into a nice steady rhythm, whether doing a 1000m climb or 30 miles along a valley bottom. For comparison, here's the elevation profile for one of my French rides - roughly the same mileage and total climbing (6000ft)

elevation_profile1.jpg

dst87

If ever a graph could make my heart race and legs quiver... :eek:

At the moment it seems I'd never be able to do that, but I'm always surprised at how much progress the human body can make in a noticeably short amount of time.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Whenever we go to the in laws in Plymouth I take my bike (means of escape) and within 5 miles I'll have done more up and down than 50 round here.
I'm never down there long enough to reap the benefits, I just get knackered!

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Tru
If ever a graph could make my heart race and legs quiver... :eek:

At the moment it seems I'd never be able to do that, but I'm always surprised at how much progress the human body can make in a noticeably short amount of time.

Trust me that graph is nothing compared to when some CCers from Scotland post their graphs.

Some of @Mo1959 graphs make more than my legs wobble.

Some of @ColinJ are pretty horrific too.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I prefer long tempo climbs to short steep ones. Bit spoilt here as we have both options. Lots of 1in 4 stuff but also quite a few 5 mile plus long tempo climbs.

Freds Dad

Veteran
I prefer long tempo climbs to short steep ones. Bit spoilt here as we have both options. Lots of 1in 4 stuff but also quite a few 5 mile plus long tempo climbs.

I'm looking for some long climbs as at the moment I just head towards Jodrell Bank but need to get some hills in. Can you point me in the direction of some please?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I'm looking for some long climbs as at the moment I just head towards Jodrell Bank but need to get some hills in. Can you point me in the direction of some please?
From Gawsworth you could head over the Cat and Fiddle that is about seven miles then back down the A54. There is also the climb going from Bosley cross roads. Alternatively you do the Brickworks starting at the Adlington cross roads by the Legh Arms that is about five but with a couple of slightly steeper sections but nothing to severe. You could also go up through Sutton up Hollin Lane. That takes you to the road from Congleton to the Cat and Fiddle (A54) past Blaze Ice Cream Farm. (Excellent stop for a brew and some cake) and follow that to the Cat and Fiddle road probably 8 or 9 miles going that way. You also have Long Hill from Whaley Bridge to Buxton 5 miles but only about 3% but a good ride to keep a nice tempo up. There are loads more ad loads you can string together to create long climbs. :okay:

NorvernRob

I've done this route a few times, it's the medium route of the Peak District Epic sportive and is really worth a go if you enjoy climbing (or pain). It sticks to mainly back roads and often single tracks, so there is very little traffic.

It starts and finishes in Bakewell and loops around Longstone Edge, Pyms Chair, Goyt Valley, Axe Edge etc, though obviously you can join it anywhere and loop around. There is a bit of everything in there!

7E660CE9-6F0F-47E2-88F9-743F9BD9DE26_zpspcq6x3eg.png

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Trust me that graph is nothing compared to when some CCers from Scotland post their graphs.

Some of @Mo1959 graphs make more than my legs wobble.

Some of @ColinJ are pretty horrific too.
I would struggle with those long climbs. My back muscles can't take the constant strain!

That seems to be the limiting factor these days. I suppose if my back were ok then I would try to climb at a quicker pace and then my cardio-vascular system would complain instead.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
My next CC ride is open for business. Includes 5 shallow tempo climbs; Snake Pass, Cat & Fiddle (from Buxton), Brickworks, Mellor Road from New Mills and Blackwell Dale

......and a couple of climbs that could never be described as "shallow tempo" :laugh:

Top Bottom