Hills, hills, hills...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jnrmczip

Well, Fernhill road is quite steep, you are doing very well riding up it every day.
Fast traffic on it too, not a nice road.
I stay at the bottom of that hill :laugh:
You could try softening the gradient by going round it, take Croftfoot road then turn left at the crossroads and left again. It is less steep that way but a bit longer.

I stay not to far from the top of the hill @Pat "5mph" I like to take it on it helps for when I'm out exploring and come across a steep one makes me feel more at ease. It felt extramly tuff today not much air around today even though the sun has started to hide.

jnrmczip

I have a similar commute home: about 19 miles with about 1650 feet climbing, the hills getting steeper and longer the closer I get to home, culminating in a hill about 1/3 mile long with average 10% grade. Since I started this variation on my commute home, my weight's dropped from 85kg to 78. Which, of course, makes riding up those hills even easier.

I'm looking forward to dropping some weight also and I'm sure the beast will be tames and ill be shooting up it in no time

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I did my first hill yesterday in Linlithgow (a very steep one!). It was way more exhausting that I could ever have imagined! It certainly felt like a challenge though and I look forward to seeing myself get better/fitter at doing them.
which one was that ? Climb out to Boness past the Loch or the the nightmare that is the one up to Cairncapple :biggrin:

the_craig

Über Member
which one was that ? Climb out to Boness past the Loch or the the nightmare that is the one up to Cairncapple :biggrin:

Cairnpapple is a bugger of a hill, especially if you climb it through Bathgate town Centre. I've never done it on my bike but I've been up there in the car to do some night photography and it looks tough. Very tough.

MiK1138

Veteran
Well, Fernhill road is quite steep, you are doing very well riding up it every day.
Fast traffic on it too, not a nice road.
I stay at the bottom of that hill :laugh:
You could try softening the gradient by going round it, take Croftfoot road then turn left at the crossroads and left again. It is less steep that way but a bit longer.
Fernhill Road is my nemesis, my Grandkids live at the top of it, the alternative is Burnside road which is full of blind bends, great on the way home though

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Fernhill Road is my nemesis, my Grandkids live at the top of it, the alternative is Burnside road which is full of blind bends, great on the way home though
I discovered an alternative tonight, still a bit steep, much less traffic though.
Before starting the hill, just after the wee set of steps that take you into Blairbeth, turn left and follow the road up, it's marked NCR 756, goes till the Cathkin bypass.
We did a Landemar Day ride, in search of the Rutherglen boundary stones. There's one near the entrance to the NCR :smile:

MiK1138

Veteran
I discovered an alternative tonight, still a bit steep, much less traffic though.
Before starting the hill, just after the wee set of steps that take you into Blairbeth, turn left and follow the road up, it's marked NCR 756, goes till the Cathkin bypass.
We did a Landemar Day ride, in search of the Rutherglen boundary stones. There's one near the entrance to the NCR :smile:
Yeah i was having a look at that my daughter reckons its not as steep more a slower longer incline, i'll give a try on Sunday

dst87

No; a tiny climb from where the train station is up Manse Road to where Clarendon Road is! It wasn't even very far... :sad:

Yes, Strava knows: you need to set up your privacy zone

I know this wasn't aimed at me, but I didn't know that (nor consider it) so I will also look at these privacy settings. Not that I have any followers on Strava anyway lol.

jnrmczip

Yes, Strava knows: you need to set up your privacy zone, as it is everybody can see the street you live in ^_^
Will pm you about some local rides you could join.

I already had a go at setting up the privacy must not have worked I will try again today. Info on any rides would be useful thank you.

Top Bottom