Hills I can play on round South Brum / North Worcestershire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
roll on saturday !!
just been out to try my new spd's. 2 rides and not had a clipless moment ........YET

You've just hexed yourself right there....now you're gonna have one REAL soon ^_^.

Well i was out just now on the bearwood / cotteridge / lickey / barnt green / hopwood loop and yup it happened !!

shot up to lights by old rover factory and screeched to a halt before i'd knocked out of the spd's.....
Bang !!
in front of 3 cars :-)

D

Deleted member 1258

Well i was out just now on the bearwood / cotteridge / lickey / barnt green / hopwood loop and yup it happened !!

shot up to lights by old rover factory and screeched to a halt before i'd knocked out of the spd's.....
Bang !!
^_^

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman

Bang !!

Told you it would happen ^_^. Congrats on getting out, hope you are enjoying the hills.

OP
OP
wmtlynx

wmtlynx

Did a little 14.4 mile circular this morning to see how I got on. Managed Rose Hill after reading up on techniques. Sitting up straight and taking it as easy as I could to make sure I still had some power left, should I begin to strain. Wasn't as hard as I'd anticipated - I had visions of stopping halfway up to pick up bits of exploded lung. Thought I'd take a flatter route back home, and forgot completely about Greenhill actually being a hill. Clue is in the name - must remember that. Also must remember to check the 145 bus timetable - met it at the top, which was ok. A minute later and I'd have been rolling back to the bottom and starting again.

http://app.strava.com/rides/23280112

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Did a little 14.4 mile circular this morning to see how I got on. Managed Rose Hill after reading up on techniques. Sitting up straight and taking it as easy as I could to make sure I still had some power left, should I begin to strain. Wasn't as hard as I'd anticipated - I had visions of stopping halfway up to pick up bits of exploded lung. Thought I'd take a flatter route back home, and forgot completely about Greenhill actually being a hill. Clue is in the name - must remember that. Also must remember to check the 145 bus timetable - met it at the top, which was ok. A minute later and I'd have been rolling back to the bottom and starting again.

http://app.strava.com/rides/23280112

Problem with Rose Hill is anticipating a false flat after the first bend. You arrive out of breath, only to be faced by a hill that just gets steeper, the higher you go.

OP
OP
wmtlynx

wmtlynx

Problem with Rose Hill is anticipating a false flat after the first bend. You arrive out of breath, only to be faced by a hill that just gets steeper, the higher you go.

I went into it pedaling gently at the bottom, in top gear, then just clicked down the gears till I was on the Attach-pink-ribbons-to-handlebars one, and then just looked dead ahead at the tarmac until it turned to sky, refusing to look at the summit until I was there, and then just sat back and rolled along for the next 2 miles.

OP
OP
wmtlynx

wmtlynx

[QUOTE 2063336, member: 45"]It's far worse coming the other way from the motorway island.[/quote]

Is it now? <Licks lips and strokes thighs.>

Downward

Guru
Windwood Heath Road is the hardest around imo. Followed closely by Farley Lane.

Windwood Heath is a combination of being very steep and also very slippery. Farley Lane is just long and Steep.

Mucklow Hill is just dangerous - A dual carriageway of 40mph with every car racing to get up it. I cycle on the pavement up there now apart from this morning when cycling through the stationary traffic !

Top Bottom