Hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

I reckoned out recently - ive actually been thinking aobut this thread whilst out :sad:- IS to change to 2 or 3 sprockets (easier) and as much as you'll spin at the bottom: at the top you wont be spinning at the top ! - but ideally, not grinding !

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I did some hill raiding over the weekend and I think the advice given here is spot on. I found particularly helpful sitting back on the saddle and relaxing the shoulders while maintaining a steady rhythm very effective. I did the longest hill I had ever attempted, about 2+ km and quite steep in parts. I don't think I could have managed it to the top without the advice given here - thanks ever so much.

Rick

ASC1951

Guru
thePig said:
Which route did you take up Ventoux?
....We will be on loaded tourers though, so think I will take the easy route up from Sault.
I can't say I found a lot of difference between any of the three routes :smile: Sault may be a 'middle ring doddle', as I was told, but it does go on a bit.

I remember standing at the side of the road halfway beyond Chalet Reynard watching Armstrong win the stage and thinking, as the back marker wobbled all over the road half an hour after the main field, "he's just done 100-odd miles, but if I got on my bike now, absolutely fresh, he would still stuff me on the last 2k to the top".

Brahan

Über Member
the only reason i could do ventoux i because of the hard miles i've put in over the years, and seeking out climbs, all the time, wherever they are, and working hard to get up them.[/quote]

Oh, this worries me. I have just agreed to go to France for a week to cycle Alpe D'Huez and Mount Ventoux later this month. I've really only been cycling for 6 months.......know any 18 day fitness crash courses??? HELP!

wafflycat

Brahan said:
Oh, this worries me. I have just agreed to go to France for a week to cycle Alpe D'Huez and Mount Ventoux later this month. I've really only been cycling for 6 months.......know any 18 day fitness crash courses??? HELP!

Here in Norfolk we have a distinct lack of long, hard hills. My friend who trained for the Race Across America (and won it as part fo the four-man team category) trained for such big hills by cycling into headwinds in his biggest gear possible... Thetford to Norfolk & back and usually one way would be headwind all the way. It worked. Bloody hard though.

yenrod

Lone Rider said:
Why do I get so tired going up hills? Well, it's not really tired, it's more like lacking energy. Is there a secret technique, or is it just practise?

Atmospheric pressure / gravity ! :smile:

Brahan

Über Member
fossyant said:
18 days prep hey - buy a tripple chainset !

I can't, you see I went and opened my gob and said that I could do it on my standard bike! I'm doing it with my brother so there's the whole sibling rivalry thing going on.....:smile:

Top Bottom