Hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
ianrauk said:
Where I live, near Cudham in Kent there is a 25% hill, on a bend. Even cars have problem climbing the thing, it's a tough bugger. I try and tackle it at least once a week. As with the other suggestions, I usually start spinning quite early, whilst only looking at a foot or two at the road ahead. Seems to work for me.
And does anyone notice that climbing hills is easier when you are with others rather then on your own...or is it just me?

25% Thats some hill, ;)

I'd agree I do think group riding helps. In a group I don't have much time to think about the hill but on my own I have too much time, mind over matter:wacko:

peejay78

ventoux was the tour route, i.e the hard one, from bedoin, up through the forest.

i think i know the hill in cudham, but it's short isn't it?

toys is a favourite of mine.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
RRSODL said:
High cadence saves energy, right? So, the opposite if you want to loose weight or am I wrong? I know that high cadence saves your knees too

Rick

Not quite right ... grinding builds muscles and spinning is a more lean muscle... the difference between a heavy muscular sprinter and a long distance marathon runner - with spinning being the marathon runner.

Don't know why though.

col

Legendary Member
RRSODL said:
High cadence saves energy, right? So, the opposite if you want to loose weight or am I wrong? I know that high cadence saves your knees too

Rick

Hi cadence does save energy,but it gets complicated.basically get your heart rate up to its best energy using level to lose weight,someone who knows will hopefully be on and tell you about that,its too much pressure on the knees that can cause problems,so not grinding the gears can help there ie too slow and hard to pedal,idealy keep the cadence up.Putting it simply ,the more effort you exert the more wieght you will loose,but keep the cadence up so you dont effect your knees.

col

Legendary Member
summerdays said:
Not quite right ... grinding builds muscles and spinning is a more lean muscle... the difference between a heavy muscular sprinter and a long distance marathon runner - with spinning being the marathon runner.

Don't know why though.

When you push hard like a sprinter,they never stop trying to push harder,so the muscles break down and repair bigger and stronger to cope,with a spinner,the muscles arent under as much explosive stress,so dont break down as much,but rather become aclimatised to the constant pace.

walker

ianrauk said:
Where I live, near Cudham in Kent there is a 25% hill, on a bend. Even cars have problem climbing the thing, it's a tough . I try and tackle it at least once a week. As with the other suggestions, I usually start spinning quite early, whilst only looking at a foot or two at the road ahead. Seems to work for me.
And does anyone notice that climbing hills is easier when you are with others rather then on your own...or is it just me?

which ones that?

chopstick

Practice is the key. To be in the grannie gear is not always the best use of your energy . Aim for more metres for your buck and keep at it . Select routes with a number of hills with varying difficulty. Repeat them until you improve your fitness. It is your own weight that you are pedaling up the gradient. Bomb or Bullet. Chopstick.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
walker said:
which ones that?

Downe Road, Cudham,
Not a long hill, but a toughie..

www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1901412

Joe

Über Member
I like to pretend I'm on a solo breakaway in the tour de france and the pack are closing in. Must. Survive. To the top.
Just me?:biggrin:

thePig

Joe said:
I like to pretend I'm on a solo breakaway in the tour de france and the pack are closing in. Must. Survive. To the top.
Just me?:wacko:

Not just you. Must confess that I have tried this once or twice. Also helps if you are actually on the Tour de France route. I did this on the Col de Pailheres in the pyrenees a few years ago. They had names painted all over the road - it was cool :wacko:

Moonchester

It's all in the rhythm. Find the right gear before the hill starts, get out of your saddle and settle quickly into a breathing and pedalling rhythm. Don't stop or ease off and you'll be free-wheeling down the other side in next to no time.

Very hilly round here (West Somerset/North Devon) so no choice but to climb, you do get used to it (have been cycling for 30+ yrs mind you).

Actually "enjoy" the hills nowadays (in these parts a 15 mile spin would include c4 to 5 miles climbing, (with very, very little actual flat in between) including several 16%-17% sections, 20%+ if you're feeling particularly masochistic).

Would agree with many comments posted above, especially:

Focus, look at road just ahead (remember to occasionally glance up, you don't know where some dozy whatsit has stopped the car to look at the "amazing" view!)

Breathing, keep it steady, focus required again.

Steady, relatively fast cadance for me, not exactly a spinner, but grinding would be left for the real steep climbs only (I ride 52-42 and 12-23).

In or out of the saddle is totally down to personal choice. I tend to sit in saddle most of the time, only honking if I want a quick stretch of my legs/really tough section.

If struggling but don't want to get out of saddle, sit slightly further back in saddle.

I personally find climbing (esp long climbs) easier on my own rather then in group. Very much your own speed, cadence thing for me.

Give me a long, long climb over a headwind any day of the week.:sad:

...oh, and remember to enjoy the well deserved downhill afterwards.

Top Bottom