Hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lone Rider

Lone Rider

I went out this morning to try out all the good advice everybody has been giving.

Relaxed shoulders and concentrating on regular, deep breathing while spinning is much easier. I used to concentrate all my attention on my legs and quickly get out of breath and tired. Now, I realise that once my legs are spinning, I should concentrate on breathing and relaxing my upper body.

asterix

Comrade Member
Definitely practice. It's all hills round here; I get confused:wacko: and worried:ohmy: when I get onto a flat bit.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
One little trick a friend taught me that's stood me in good stead for about 35 years now (along with all the other good advice about gear low, pedal fast and try to *relax*) is to keep looking at the road at a point about 3 or 4 metres ahead of your front wheel, and avoid looking up. It fools you into thinking you've only got to do a bit more...a bit more....a bit more, which somehow is psychologically less bruising than looking at the half-mile of incline you still have to get up. Daft, but it works for me.

OP
OP
Lone Rider

Lone Rider

[quote name='swee'pea99']One little trick a friend taught me is to keep looking at the road at a point about 3 or 4 metres ahead of your front wheel, and avoid looking up.[/quote]

Yes, I agree with that, taking it a little at a time makes it look easier.

Smeggers

[quote name='swee'pea99']One little trick a friend taught me that's stood me in good stead for about 35 years now (along with all the other good advice about gear low, pedal fast and try to *relax*) is to keep looking at the road at a point about 3 or 4 metres ahead of your front wheel, and avoid looking up. It fools you into thinking you've only got to do a bit more...a bit more....a bit more, which somehow is psychologically less bruising than looking at the half-mile of incline you still have to get up. Daft, but it works for me.[/QUOTE]Yep that one works for me too.

Also if you start thinking of quitting, to try and keep doing 10 more pedal strokes before you do, then repeat. Before you know it, your at the top!

yenrod

Ive always wanted a go at some proper climbs but I wonder if they'd be too much for me - though I did enjoy the llanberis pass, once, mainly cause short climbs irritate me: the longer the better for me!

thePig

yenrod said:
Ive always wanted a go at some proper climbs but I wonder if they'd be too much for me - though I did enjoy the llanberis pass, once, mainly cause short climbs irritate me: the longer the better for me!

I agree about short climbs, they are frustrating. I would rather do one massive long climb rather than several small ones.

I am a crap cyclist, but drag my a** over mountain passes just cause I love it. This normally means spending long periods of time at 4mph.

Here is a ride I can recommend - http://www.roadbikerides.com/ride/view/sella_ronda_loop/865
It is in Italy but is great fun - 6,900ft of climbing in 40miles. I reckon if you can cycle 70miles on the flat in a day you could do this ride - just make sure you have a triple.

peejay78

i love all forms of hills and climbing. i find the challenge and the whole zoning out cadence whilst rhythmically going upwards to be brilliant. i went to ventoux a few weeks back, it was one of the best experiences i have ever had. took me 1hr 40, with a lowest gear of 25-39, a 14 mile climb.

2423879306_e9f021bfe1.jpg

2423064879_651ba90c52.jpg

on saturday i rode up ditchling, it just didn't compare, even though i enjoyed it. it was over before it started. it was fun to go up it fixed though, with a 75" gear.

the only reason i could do ventoux i because of the hard miles i've put in over the years, and seeking out climbs, all the time, wherever they are, and working hard to get up them.

thePig

peejay78 said:
i love all forms of hills and climbing. i find the challenge and the whole zoning out cadence whilst rhythmically going upwards to be brilliant. i went to ventoux a few weeks back, it was one of the best experiences i have ever had. took me 1hr 40, with a lowest gear of 25-39, a 14 mile climb.

on saturday i rode up ditchling, it just didn't compare, even though i enjoyed it. it was over before it started. it was fun to go up it fixed though, with a 75" gear.

the only reason i could do ventoux i because of the hard miles i've put in over the years, and seeking out climbs, all the time, wherever they are, and working hard to get up them.

Which route did you take up Ventoux?
I am planning to do it this July as part of a 6week tour through the pyrenees and alps. We will be on loaded tourers though, so think I will take the easy route up from Sault.

Thanks for the photos. They look great.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I struggle with the hills IN Bristol .... I'm in awe of all of you who can do mountains!!

I didn't even make it all the way to the top of Park Street yestderday... I was too thirsty, hot and needed some lunch (is that enough excuses yet? :tongue:) but I will give it a go the idea of 10 more strokes before stopping, already doing the try not to look at the top.

Smeggers

The first time I did the Cat and Fiddle climb (Buxton) I nearly cried!

I think Id have a nervous break-down if I just did what Peejays done!

thePig

summerdays said:
I struggle with the hills IN Bristol .... I'm in awe of all of you who can do mountains!!

I didn't even make it all the way to the top of Park Street yestderday... I was too thirsty, hot and needed some lunch (is that enough excuses yet? :tongue:) but I will give it a go the idea of 10 more strokes before stopping, already doing the try not to look at the top.

I was pushed into my first mountain tour. The conversation went something like this:
ME: Why don't we do a pleasant tour of the south coast of england
FRIENDS: - Thats an interesting idea but why don't we go and ride through the pyrenees instead.

Assuming the gradient is ok (7% or less) I don't think cycling up mountains is that hard. Cycling up mountains fast, like Peejay, is hard....but going at snails pace is not too bad, but you will need a triple and probably a granny ring to keep a nice high cadence (I tour on my mountain bike)

If you take it really easy the only difference between mountains and cycling on the flat is that you always need to pedal. I plan to take about 4hrs going up Ventoux later this year - at the extreme speed of 4pmh.

Brahan

Über Member
I'm very new to cycling (2 months) and already I can climb hills I failed on a month and a half ago. I would like to think I'm getting fitter but I have noticed there is a massive difference in output depending on how I position myself of the saddle. Does anyone live around Kent/W Sussex border who can tell me where the toughest climb is?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Where I live, near Cudham in Kent there is a 25% hill, on a bend. Even cars have problem climbing the thing, it's a tough bugger. I try and tackle it at least once a week. As with the other suggestions, I usually start spinning quite early, whilst only looking at a foot or two at the road ahead. Seems to work for me.
And does anyone notice that climbing hills is easier when you are with others rather then on your own...or is it just me?

Top Bottom