Hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Um, is that the same as Alpach in Tirol? Must check it out next time I am over there...

thePig

I'm not sure, I haven't actually been to this place. Was a very nice photo from Flickr that captured what I was looking for.

I am on a tour in Austria later this year so might also check it out.

col

Legendary Member
Dont forget to eat right too,carbs the night before ,and possibly a bit of instant energy as a snack,if you dont have the fuel you will feel tired too.

Danny

Legendary Member
bonj said:
get a triple if you haven't already.

I agree with Bonj, fit a triple chain if you haven't already got one. I finally fitted a triple to my bike last year and it made a huge difference.

You really want a low enough gear so your legs are "spinning" all the way up the hill.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Assuming you're fit enough the gearing makes a huge difference. I have a local hill which is about 3/4 mile long and max of 20% which I find pretty hard on my triple road bike but a helluva lot easier on my mtb which has a lot lower gears despite being considerably heavier.

thePig

When touring in the Alps or Pyrenees I use a 28 x 32. I couldn't get my loaded bike over some of the mountains without those gears.

There is nothing like watching your speedo stuck at 4mph for 3 hours.

walker

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/technique-if-climbing-is-your-weakest-link-16182

Go clipless, when climbing try pulling on the pedals more than pushing on them, I find this way I get more power out that pushing alone.

Lose weight, you can find it easier getting a lighter body up the hill rather than a fat chunker.

sod the triple, go compact, saves buying a new Rear mech too.

Practice your breathing technique, half the battle of climbing is that people find they are puffing and panting their way to the top, don't, get a steady rythym like you would when riding the flats, make sure your filling your lungs properly and only half filling them.

other than that just practice them

OP
OP
Lone Rider

Lone Rider

Right, so tomorrow, if it's not raining, I'm going to feel relaxed and breath deeply (I already have a triple), find a not to steep hill and spin my way to the top. Hopefully, after doing this several times, it should become second nature.

Tynan

Veteran
that's the spirit, I'm on a double and have plenty of gears in reserve on the hills on my commute, nothign extreme but proper hills (for London)

granted it's not the alps

I do recall Ditchling fondly on a triple, lowest and the granny and only just keeping going, fairly limp legs by then though

OP
OP
Lone Rider

Lone Rider

I forgot about loosing weight!

Since giving up smoking ten years ago the kilos have steadily gained ground. There is also the problem of middle-aged drift.

The more I cycle, the more I eat. A local university has published that moderate beer consumption is good for sportsmen.

Last year I did a two week, 1,300 km cycle ride, and lost 1.3 kilos - i.e. one gram per kilometre.

Loosing weight seems to be easier said than done. However, it would be a good solution.

Top Bottom