Hip pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VintageRuby

Clinging on for dear life.
Hi all,
I went out for my first "long" ride (11miles) on Monday after a few weeks of doing shorter rides and I thought my hips were used to it after doing the same ride all summer but according to my left hip that is not the case. After every single ride I do yoga to help with recovery/flexibility but this time it doesn't seem to be helping as my hip still feels really tight and stiff. Can anyone suggest anything else?
I'm only 23 , I shouldn't have to deal with bad hips at my age lol (thank you Mother!)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Saddle height ?

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Bike fit , saddle height etc is important as is the reach to your handlebars,are you over stretching at all. The weather has become noticeably cooler this week, have you been protecting yourself against the cold.
If you have a hip condition
I shouldn't have to deal with bad hips at my age lol (thank you Mother!)
It would be as well to ensure you are keeping warm, the cold can penetrate and cause aches and pains if you suffer with arthritis or similar.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A saddle that's a touch too high can make your hips rock from side to side when pedalling.

Worth experimenting with lowering it.

You can mark the post where it is now with a felt tip so you have a starting point.

The general saddle height advice is good, but one size doesn't always fit all.

It may be with your condition you will be better running with a saddle that will look a bit low to experienced cyclists.

OP
OP
VintageRuby

VintageRuby

Bike fit , saddle height etc is important as is the reach to your handlebars,are you over stretching at all. The weather has become noticeably cooler this week, have you been protecting yourself against the cold.
It would be as well to ensure you are keeping warm, the cold can penetrate and cause aches and pains if you suffer with arthritis or similar.

Never thought of that, I've been wearing two pairs of leggings but it might be worth wearing another pair, even if I end up looking like the Michelin man lol
Only problem with that is knowing me, I'll end up overheating, I can't win because I hate the cold and always feel cold but once I going either walking or cycling I overheat and end up practically stripped off by the time I'm halfway home lol though you can always take layers off, can't put them on if you don't have them lol

OP
OP
VintageRuby

VintageRuby

A saddle that's a touch too high can make your hips rock from side to side when pedalling.

Worth experimenting with lowering it.

You can mark the post where it is now with a felt tip so you have a starting point.

The general saddle height advice is good, but one size doesn't always fit all.

It may be with your condition you will be better running with a saddle that will look a bit low to experienced cyclists.
That's a good point, I'll fiddle with the saddle later and see how it goes :smile:

OP
OP
VintageRuby

VintageRuby

Luckily the signs of arthritis don't seem to have shown up yet, but I do have v tight hips, by mother had arthritis and ended up having a hip replacement at age 44. lucky me.

vickster

Legendary Member
Can you get assessed by a Physio? Might have to pay privately. If so, find one who can do bike assessments of poss

Kajjal

Guru
To check saddle height with the crank down in line with the seat tube you should be able lift yourself off the saddle upwards in line with the seat tube a little when keeping your feet flat. Having the saddle a little low is no problem, too high causes all kinds of aches as you over stretch down to the pedals.

OP
OP
VintageRuby

VintageRuby

To check saddle height with the crank down in line with the seat tube you should be able lift yourself off the saddle upwards in line with the seat tube a little when keeping your feet flat. Having the saddle a little low is no problem, too high causes all kinds of aches as you over stretch down to the pedals.
Should my feet be on the pedals or the floor? (Sorry for sounding so thick lol)

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Should my feet be on the pedals or the floor? (Sorry for sounding so thick lol)
One foot on the pedal with the pedal at the bottom of its travel, you then push yourself up off the saddle with that foot. Even better if you can get someone to hold the bike steady whilst you have both feet on the pedals. If you can comfortably push yourself up off the saddle your saddle is not too high.

smudgerii

Never thought of that, I've been wearing two pairs of leggings but it might be worth wearing another pair, even if I end up looking like the Michelin man lol
Only problem with that is knowing me, I'll end up overheating, I can't win because I hate the cold and always feel cold but once I going either walking or cycling I overheat and end up practically stripped off by the time I'm halfway home lol though you can always take layers off, can't put them on if you don't have them lol
Hi all,
I went out for my first "long" ride (11miles) on Monday after a few weeks of doing shorter rides and I thought my hips were used to it after doing the same ride all summer but according to my left hip that is not the case. After every single ride I do yoga to help with recovery/flexibility but this time it doesn't seem to be helping as my hip still feels really tight and stiff. Can anyone suggest anything else?
I'm only 23 , I shouldn't have to deal with bad hips at my age lol (thank you Mother!)

Get a foam roller, it will help with muscle tightness. Compression clothing as a baselayer helps keep you warm and wicks away sweat to regulate your temp...

Top Bottom