Hip replaced….now what?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Trouble is, they’ve made me worry about the damned thing. Not allowed to jump and not allowed to run, apparently the whole slinging my leg over a bike frame is questionable
Ok, so don't run, don't jump, and don't sling your leg over. But above all, dont worry! Just get on and ride. Take it easy at first, then take it from there. You'll be fine. :okay:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Did you really have no physiotherapy after your surgery for rehab even with Covid going on?
Personally I got taken out for a walk up and down the corridor a couple of times, then they took me to a staircase, gave me a couple of tips, and stayed close while I had a go. It went fine. Um, that was it.

PS It's only fair to add, it was enough. I really didn't feel the need for any physio. I don't think it was a fortnight before I was walking in the woods. The modern hips are amazing. Just like the real thing! (Tho' you do have to be dislocation-aware...and now I think about it, I can't really run. Hardly ever any call to, but still...)

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Personally I got taken out for a walk up and down the corridor a couple of times, then they took me to a staircase, gave me a couple of tips, and stayed close while I had a go. It went fine. Um, that was it.
I meant after discharge

vickster

Legendary Member
Like I say, that was it! :smile:
Fair enough. The local centre of excellence here in SW London refers to local physio service for rehab (albeit long waits right now, my mum is having to go private). Maybe only offered to the more frail and elderly which I guess you (and OP) are not

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Fair enough. The local centre of excellence here in SW London refers to local physio service for rehab (albeit long waits right now, my mum is having to go private). Maybe only offered to the more frail and elderly which I guess you (and OP) are not
As I say, with the caveat different folks diff'rent strokes, I'd say rehab is mostly a case of enjoying the fact that you can walk comfortably and without pain, then taking it from there, sensibly. In my case, rehab was (and for that matter is) mostly about walking, swimming and cycling, as I always have, to an extent that seems sensible and likely to be beneficial rather than damaging. A bit of informed advice would be helpful, and is doubtless available if you can be arsed to jump through the hoops necessary to access it, but I think common sense and a positive mindset can achieve quite a lot. It's a 12 step program...

vickster

Legendary Member
My mother was very weak with frequent falls so will certainly need a lot of support getting confidence back. She’s still in a lot of pain 3 weeks post op, hasn’t left the house yet, carers in twice a day.
Less pain and being able to walk confidently will be the aim. She’s not ridden a bike for 60 years :laugh: Nor will she be swimming but hydrotherapy will be pursued.
It’s possible she’ll need the other side doing as well.

OP
OP
H

Hudson1984

Über Member
I had the same, walk up the corridor, up some stairs with the crutches and that’s that.

This was private, in for 2 nights and tbh they wanted me out after 1 but I fainted on my post op physio lol. So had another night

Nothing post op though

vickster

Legendary Member
I had the same, walk up the corridor, up some stairs with the crutches and that’s that.

This was private, in for 2 nights and tbh they wanted me out after 1 but I fainted on my post op physio lol. So had another night

Nothing post op though
Didn’t you organise physio through your insurers? Seems odd that the surgeon didn’t recommend if so?
(Or was it NHS in private sector?)

OP
OP
H

Hudson1984

Über Member
They gave a sheet with a local nhs physio, but you have 2 weeks to book in.
During that two weeks they didn’t have any spaces so then my referral expired.
Then lockdowns came into play and I was unwell (not covid) so it all just dragged out and nothing happened. So now I’m perfectly fine (mostly) just a bit too cautious and keen to do something

vickster

Legendary Member
Then lockdowns came into play and I was unwell (not covid) so it all just dragged out and nothing happened. So now I’m perfectly fine (mostly) just a bit too cautious and keen to do something
Definitely see a physio privately :okay:

Get either a private physio or get a referral or a code from the GP for NHS self-referral. Or both.
I did both after my Achilles tendon injury.

I went to classes at the local NHS cottage hospital; that was funny, they had two classes, one for old people called 'pathways' or something like that - the aim was to get old dears who'd gone 'off their feet' confident walking even if they weren't before, and the other was for 'everyone else with an injury' that was mostly active sportsmen in their 30s. But you had a sort of 'interview' first, to make sure that your level of fitness, activity and expectation was appropriate for the group ... So I, at 72, and another lady in her mid 60s who had a very similar injury to me while playing tennis (mine was running down a hill after a dog and slipping on a mossy stone ...) were put in with a bunch of rugby players in their 30s ... it really was funny at times. And the 'class' format was good as we were sort-of competing, very mildly, with each other. Well, I think the blokes got annoyed when we could do the things the physio gave us to do, and they couldn't!

I also booked three appointments with a private sports physio; I felt they were well worth the money as he gave me very specific exercises to do, then six weeks later gave me slightly different ones to do to assist with a couple of issues that weren't resolving quite as well as they perhaps ought, and then a third one about a month after that, with follow-up, long-term exercises and advice.

I'm sure a good physio will give you lots of good advice and more confidence.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My mother was very weak with frequent falls so will certainly need a lot of support getting confidence back. She’s still in a lot of pain 3 weeks post op, hasn’t left the house yet, carers in twice a day.
Less pain and being able to walk confidently will be the aim. She’s not ridden a bike for 60 years :laugh: Nor will she be swimming but hydrotherapy will be pursued.
It’s possible she’ll need the other side doing as well.
Clearly her needs are very different from mine. Even so, I do think that with anything along these lines, water is excellent, whether you swim or just exercise in it. Good luck.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My son had a hip replacement 2-3 years ago. He also has SLD and from day one had no understanding of what he could or could not do. His life immediately improved dramatically and he has experienced no problems whatsoever. He simply does as he wishes.

I see no reason why an adult with good understanding should not cycle. Get out there.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's changed my BIL's life. His was replaced young, and he held on as long as he could cope with the pain as they generally last 10-15 years and he'd be out of replacement options by the time he was a pensioner. As said, get exercising it, and cycling is no impact. A colleague's husband had both replaced, and he was back climbing again - and he was in his 60's - I'd deffo speak to a private physio for a plan if the NHS aren't much use - the MHS physio's just weren't allowed to do anything, and frowned upon me cycling again after breaking my spine. I went private, and the physio got permission from my consultant to start work, and a plan, as she needed to know when would be safe after my bad break. I'd have never recovered well if I left it with the NHS.

Unfortunately, NHS physio's are time restricted, and for most people, it's off you go, sort yourself out. They spend most of their time with old people. That's why you see so many leave and enter private practice, as all the studies go somewhat wasted on getting old folk to get up - it's essential work, but not exactly what they trained to do.

Top Bottom