Hip replaced….now what?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hudson1984

Über Member
Hi all, so, last year I had my hip replaced and at some point the other one will need doing too.

Now, I used to cycle and enjoy nice long rides, but I can’t see that being something on the cards anymore….or the judo lol.

But I’m getting fatter, I’m doing less and that’s not going to help the hip either way.

So… turbo trainer… good idea?

I mean I’ve done my time of Sufferfest and zwift before surgery but just don’t know what exercise is the best for me to do going forward they don’t like to limit people what they say you can and can’t do but I’m keen to be safe and not do anything daft.. like going back to judo!

So anyone had a new hip? How’s cycling feel afterwards?

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Regardless of exercise, this can certainly help with the weight. Even so, keep on with the exercise.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Now, I used to cycle and enjoy nice long rides, but I can’t see that being something on the cards anymore
Serious question: why not? You've got a new hip that works just like the old one used to before it went wrong. Do whatever you used to do. The only caveat I'd add is take notice of feedback. I get the occasional tweak when I'm working hard up a hill, so I get off and push. But basically, as you were. Good luck.

Lookrider

I've not got one so cannot help first hand ....
Andy Murray competes at top level tennis and he has a placcy hip ....that should be good press for you hopefully

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Didn't you discuss this with your doctors?

I know my situation is slightly different in that my knee operation was an emergency but I am repeatedly asked by doctors & physios about my hobbies and what I want to get back to doing.

OP
OP
H

Hudson1984

Über Member
I’ve cycled 40,000 miles since having my hip replaced.

Zero impact and builds up the muscles around the joint.

What’s not to like?

That’s great to know, perhaps I’ll build a turbo hack, and get some zwift miles in the garage first build the strength back up

Serious question: why not? You've got a new hip that works just like the old one used to before it went wrong. Do whatever you used to do. The only caveat I'd add is take notice of feedback. I get the occasional tweak when I'm working hard up a hill, so I get off and push. But basically, as you were. Good luck.

Trouble is, they’ve made me worry about the damned thing. Not allowed to jump and not allowed to run, apparently the whole slinging my leg over a bike frame is questionable as it’s a process that COULD lead to dislocation - which is why I sold all my stuff originally

I've not got one so cannot help first hand ....
Andy Murray competes at top level tennis and he has a placcy hip ....that should be good press for you hopefully

Ah there’s pro judo players with new hips too but I don’t think all hips are created equally. Sure if you’re Andy Murray someone will design you one to keep you doing top level stuff. Mines an off the shelf job I don’t think I’d risk tennis with mine. Thing is the new ball is smaller so certain angles can pop it out apparently

Get advice from a sports physio maybe who has experience in rehabbing hip replacements

If I could find one locally I would. Most physios round here are just personal trainers who’ve done an extra day to call themselves a physio

Didn't you discuss this with your doctors?

I know my situation is slightly different in that my knee operation was an emergency but I am repeatedly asked by doctors & physios about my hobbies and what I want to get back to doing.

I did, but where as they used to give advice and limitations, they now say do what you like but be careful. All the advice I have is no jumping and no running as the new hip won’t take it. Which is fine, didn’t do much of either anyway. The action of cycling was fine but getting off and on caused concerns. I never had post op physio as the only one we have round here was fully booked and then shut through a lockdown. So other than knowing the hip is doing well and I recovered well I’m not overly sure of what’s good to do and what’s not

Venod

Eh up
My mate had a new one fitted and hasn't been back on the bike since, but I think this is more to do with the shock of the off that caused the break, that led to the hip replacement, what he is doing is a lot of walking and I would say he is slimmer now than pre accident.

If I could find one locally I would. Most physios round here are just personal trainers who’ve done an extra day to call themselves a physio
Blimey where in the world are you?

That sounds very dangerous - and it's highly illegal here (UK).
Physiotherapist and physical therapist are 'protected' titles in law here and only those who are appropriately qualified and registered can refer to themselves as such. Also members of the public can check that a physio they might be thinking of consulting is indeed registered as such.

ETA why not try a bike with a step-through, or at least angled, frame? There is no absolute need to throw your leg over if you are worried about that, and many people can't anyway for a range of physical reasons.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hudson1984

Über Member
On the east coast U.K. and honesty every physio I’ve spoken to so far are carrying really basic qualifications.

Guess I’ll have to stop being a lazy bugger and head to Norwich, no doubt someone there

Blimey where in the world are you?

That sounds very dangerous - and it's highly illegal here (UK).
Physiotherapist and physical therapist are 'protected' titles in law here and only those who are appropriately qualified and registered can refer to themselves as such. Also members of the public can check that a physio they might be thinking of consulting is indeed registered as such.

On the east coast U.K. and honesty every physio I’ve spoken to so far are carrying really basic qualifications.

Guess I’ll have to stop being a lazy bugger and head to Norwich, no doubt someone there

You might find this link useful to get yourself sorted with a qualified physio.

What do you mean by 'really basic qualifications'? The most basic physiotherapy qualification is 'Chartered'. A Chartered Physiotherapist is fully qualified to a high standard, after 3 - 4 years training and supervised practice. NO WAY are they a gym coach who's done a day's course! Many are employed in A&E departments - I credit the good outcome of my severe Achilles tendon rupture to the sensible doc in A & E who, after general questions about my fall, said he was going to do nothing at all other than order X-rays, as he had sent for the on-call physiotherapist and she knew a lot more about such things than anyone else.

If you are in the UK and people who have mere fitness or gym training are claiming to be 'physiotherapists' then they are breaking the law and you should report them to the HCPC and the Chartered Society of Physiotherapists. who will take this false representation seriously. See this page from the CSP.

vickster

Legendary Member

Go to your local private hospital that has orthopaedic surgeons with a physio department.

Sounds very hooky. In the US, for example, physiotherapists are called PTs (short for physical therapist). In the U.K. only personal trainers are called PTs. As @KnittyNorah says they aren’t the same thing at all. Chartered physios have a degree that takes 3 or 4 years plus further training usually.
You can find one here
https://www.csp.org.uk/public-patient/find-physiotherapist/physio2u

Did you really have no physiotherapy after your surgery for rehab even with Covid going on? 🤷‍♀️ Was the operation done on the NHS or privately?

Last edited:
Top Bottom