HISTORIC BIKE RIDES & GUINNESS RECORD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yvon

C.47.jpg

THE OCEAN CYCLING WORLD OF YVON LE CAER
www.yvonlecaer.com
Although this episode of my life belongs to yesteryear,
I believe that the effort and achievement are still relevant today.”
- Yvon Le Caer -

SUMMARY OF THIS WEBSITE CONTENTS
Peter Eland, Publisher of VELO VISION MAGAZINE said it best [June 2009]:

“A slice of human powered history has recently emerged via a website set-up by
ocean-pedalling pioneer Yvon Le Caer who, in the 1980s, completed a remarkable
serie of voyages on his self-built pedalcraft.

A former successful racing cyclist, he had switched his efforts to pedal boats
and major crossings, as he said “not only to face new athletic and technical challenges,
but also to realize an old dream of mine and, by the same token, validate cycling on water.“

His first major crossing, in 1981, took him from Cat Cay in the Bahamas to Dania Beach
on the East coast of Florida, a 62-mile or 100 km journey.
Then, in 1985, he became the first cyclist to “pedal” the English Channel
from Cherbourg in Normandy, France, to Poole on the Dorset coast of England;
a 92-mile or 148 km journey riding AquaCycle, a pedalcraft of his own design.

His athletic career was cut short in 1986 by a hit-and-run driver,
but the new website offers a moving and impressive chronicle of the sea cycling
exploits of his youth, with press clippings, photos and more.
It's well worth a read, and even a trip to the public library if you don't have the internet at home.”
www.yvonlecaer.com

c29.jpg

Lenno

Second time around, second strike! Truthfully, I cannot get enough of this wonderful and inspiring story. Incredible man!!!

hubbike

Is it just me or is this all a bit nutty? almost to the point of being a bit of a zany idea but not really indepenent travel after all there is a saftey boat nearby...Seems a bit like touring on a penny farthing with a support van behind you... I am much more impressed by the ocean efforts and trials of Olly Hicks and his cohorts.

OP
OP
Y

Yvon

To say thanks

Joe said:
Amazing. I love the way he's recreated his road bike position on the boat ;)

-----------------------------------------
TO LENNO, JOE, HUBBIKE & HILLDODGER:

Thanks for your interest, kind words, comments; It's all appreciated.

Albatross

From my days in Miami, in the 1970s/1980s, I remember quite well the extensive media coverage of Yvon Le Caer's Bahamas to Florida crossing in 1981. Betting on the subject with some of my Miami friends, I was sure that he and his fragile contraption would not make it across the Gulf Stream. Of course I lost, but, in proving me wrong, he gained my respect and admiration. To this day, despite the years which have since passed by, I have not forgotten the man nor his achievements.

In short, I concur with Peter Eland's assessment of Yvon's website; a very interesting website which, among others, includes (as Velo Vision Magazine also wrote) “... documents pioneering rides on human-powered boats long before the idea had gained tne acceptance and awareness (such as it is) that the concept has today.”

So, thanks Yvon for the memories and the legacy..

OP
OP
Y

Yvon

Your Happy Miami days

Albatross said:
From my days in Miami, in the 1970s/1980s, I remember quite well the extensive media coverage of Yvon Le Caer's Bahamas to Florida crossing in 1981. Betting on the subject with some of my Miami friends, I was sure that he and his fragile contraption would not make it across the Gulf Stream. Of course I lost, but, in proving me wrong, he gained my respect and admiration. To this day, despite the years which have since passed by, I have not forgotten the man nor his achievements.
Thanks, Albatross, for remembering so well and, above all, taking the time to write.

OP
OP
Y

Yvon

WARMEST HOLIDAY WISHES

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

aqua_cycle.jpg

Yvon Le Caer

gavintc

Guru
Yes, I agree. On one level his trip is interesting, but I am becoming more than a little suspicious of the weird postings on here and would say I am irritated by the scam style postings.

It's just someone who did something 25 years ago expecting everyone to still bow down to him.

Back in 2002 a 59 year old chap used one of our Nauticraft Escapade boats to cross from Dover to Calais and then straight back again in something like 9 hours. It was to raise funds for the British Legion.

Guinness observed the crossing and credited him with a world record for crossing the English Channel by pedal powered boat.

Mr Le Caer became very abusive towards Nauticraft, myself and Guinness on another forum because we celebrated the achievement. Even though Mr Le Caer didn't cross Dover - Calais and so is not therefor recognised by the Channel Crossing Association

Top Bottom