Cardiff - Bike Accomodation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwylan

Veteran
Despite being brought up there and doing uni there I have not really been there for 40 years.
Have to visit a relative to do some face to face and paper signing.
Plan is to take the train and the bike for a few days
Anyone suggest accomodation to suit a grumpy and his E-Bike for a couple of nights.
City centre would be best, or west Cowbridge Road towards but not in Ely. Locals will understand
Price not a limit, me comfortable and bike secure.
Thanks

Alex321

Veteran
Even though I work in Cardiff when in eth office, I have never stayed overnight in the city, so can't help very much.

My normal commute is along Cowbridge Road East, but I turn off through Ely/Fairwater as soon as I hit Cowbridge Road West. I have ridden the rest of the way along Cowbridge Road West a few times, but really can't think of any obvious hotels along there, I think you will be better served looking at the City Centre.

There is a Holiday Inn and a Premier Inn close to my office, but that is in the Bay area, and I don't think they really have secure bike storage - there are certainly bike racks at the Premier Inn, which I think are covered by CCTV, but that is as good as it gets.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Most chain hotels wont tacitly allow you to take your bike in your room. But, it often depends on the staff at the reception when you sign in.

The best approach, is to not give them the opportunity and behave as if it’s a perfectly normal thing to do. As in, just wheel it to your room like it was your suitcase.

If you get told ‘no’, they usually have secure parking - a safe room or underground car park.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
Even though I work in Cardiff when in eth office, I have never stayed overnight in the city, so can't help very much.

My normal commute is along Cowbridge Road East, but I turn off through Ely/Fairwater as soon as I hit Cowbridge Road West. I have ridden the rest of the way along Cowbridge Road West a few times, but really can't think of any obvious hotels along there, I think you will be better served looking at the City Centre.

There is a Holiday Inn and a Premier Inn close to my office, but that is in the Bay area, and I don't think they really have secure bike storage - there are certainly bike racks at the Premier Inn, which I think are covered by CCTV, but that is as good as it gets.

Thanks.

Might just keep it in my room.
When I find a hotel.
Happened before.

Alternative to go to the Wenvoe end of Cowbridge Road, opposite Tesco etc

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
Most chain hotels wont tacitly allow you to take your bike in your room. But, it often depends on the staff at the reception when you sign in.

The best approach, is to not give them the opportunity and behave as if it’s a perfectly normal thing to do. As in, just wheel it to your room like it was your suitcase.

If you get told ‘no’, they usually have secure parking - a safe room or underground car park.

My experience is sort of balls it through

Alex321

Veteran

In that case, there is this one next to our office in Cardiff Bay (about 10 mins cycle to city cente, 15-20 mins to Cowbridge Road West)

Or this one on Queen Street in the City Centre

Alex321

Veteran
Thanks.

Might just keep it in my room.
When I find a hotel.
Happened before.

Alternative to go to the Wenvoe end of Cowbridge Road, opposite Tesco etc

The hotel there is a Copthorne. Don't know their policy on bikes, but unlikely to be as many random strangers wandering around as in the Bay or the centre.

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
The hotel there is a Copthorne. Don't know their policy on bikes, but unlikely to be as many random strangers wandering around as in the Bay or the centre.

You are joking. The whole area terrified me, last time, that was daylight.
Thanks, will check the hotel anyway.

Alex321

Veteran
You are joking. The whole area terrified me, last time, that was daylight.
Thanks, will check the hotel anyway.

Well I go to the Tesco/Decathlon moderately often, and to the Axminster store across the road (I have a woodturning lathe), and have never felt any disquiet there.

I was just thinking that once the shops are closed, there are no clubs or pubs very close, so there wouldn't be many people about other than those staying at the hotel. There is a pretty new housing estate backing on to the hotel, but I don't think there is easy access between the estate and the hotel area.

Jody

Stubborn git
Think travel lodge do? Mine went in the conference room which was more a store room!

Every travel lodge i've stopped in with the bike were fine.

"Travelodge makes the same offering of free bike storage in your own hotel bedroom at its nearly 600 hotels in the UK."

Top Bottom