Historic Commercial Vehicles 6th May 2018 London to Brighton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok so now it turns out [ wasnt the case when I proposed the ride] that there are the inevitable engineering works going on on the railway between Three Bridges and Gatwick. This means there is a bus service between the two. Its a distance of less than 4 miles. My proposal is that you can cycle the gap on the return. either together or separately depending on when you want to leave Brighton.

Wouldn't that cause ticketing problems? ie: folks would be breaking their journey, two separate tickets? I must admit that I have no idea whether that significantly affects cost - never any logic to British train fares.

OP
OP
B

bobcolover

Guru
I don't see why there would be a ticket problem. Single from Brighton to East Croydon or to Clapham junction or to London. One journey?

Not trying to disrupt anything bob, and as you know I can't come. Just asking the Q in case there are problems.

If you don't get on the linking bus, aren't you breaking the journey?

I know this might seem to make no sense - but as I said this is Britain and British train fares are barmy. Southern used to fine people for the heinous crime of paying for a station beyond Gatwick (originating in London) and then horror of horrors getting off at Gatwick. For they liked to charge folk more for that shorter journey.

They might argue that they are protecting cyclists from the fleshpot diversions of Three Bridges. I wouldn't put owt past them.

OP
OP
B

bobcolover

Guru
Ok I have spoken to a ticket barrier person at city Thameslink who has assured me that if you buy a Brighton to wherever ticket you CAN break your journey and resume it at any point.

OP
OP
B

bobcolover

Guru
i have 2 friends who mentioned that they might come. but one of them might not;
so there would be 4 of us; but the weather is forecast to be warm and sunny.
its quality not quantity!

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
I'll be at Crystal Palace from 7 then i'll meet you at Tesco Purley way 8.15 ....8.30..ish

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Indeed. An early start. But the sun was warm from the off and only got hotter, much more than forecast. Slimmer pickings on the vehicles than on the vintage car run but some beauts. One puncture claimed by Bob in the rear of the recumbent with the words "no one else is allowed them" as he had claimed two on each of his last two Fridays rides.

Major traffic snarl up at Pease Pottage but we glided through.
Lunch was taken in the usual spot in Crawley but only by 3 of us. The staff thought it was enough to charge me for a meal and who am I to think they should cook and serve it too. Upon enquiry I got my money back and an apology. Turned out it was a low calorie apology as I began to feel faint at about the 30mile mark. I think more the sun than starvation. A couple of minutes to gather myself and we were off again. The 2 mile or so decent into Staplefield is a dream. Stefan decided he was going over Ditchling Beacon and despite his kind offer to go with him we bravely declined and opted for Clayton hill.

Must be more hill fit at the mo as none of the ups seemed as bad or long as I remembered.
Fish and chips to finish.

Cheers all.

Last edited:

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
The ultimate stray

P1010046.JPG

Top Bottom